Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Press Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-press-question-t244040.html)

caspharm 03-29-2014 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jennieb (Post 6650016)
Love the idea of diluting. And, putting it in a different mister. Does anyone have trouble with the fumes? It seems to make me cough the first time I use it.

Have you tried the unscented? I can't tolerate much exposure to the scented ones. I use the Best Press both ways, straight and dilute, depending on what the purpose is for. I also just use water, rather than putting the water in my iron.

susie-susie-susie 03-29-2014 11:08 AM

I have always diluted my Best Press. I have never had it stain, but I think it takes a little longer to iron the fabric dry when you dilute it. It works just as good as full strength and costs 1/2 as much (I'm cheap,too). It does make me cough sometimes, but I just hold my breath while spraying. All the scents make me cough, but not enough to make me stop using it.
Sue

palmetto girl 03-29-2014 02:57 PM

Thanks for all the info. I just bought my first bottle of BP and now I have learned to make it go twice as far. I am just learning a lot about quilting from the board. Thanks a bunch.

mah 03-29-2014 03:25 PM

Are you sure it is the best press and not your iron spitting?

Pete 03-29-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by cindyb (Post 6648669)
I guess I'm just cheap also!!! I went to a class and the well known teacher said if you take Potato Vodka, dilute it 4 to one, put it in a spray bottle it gives the same feeling as Best Press. It has to be Potato tho, that's were the starch comes from. I've been doing it for 2 years now, works like a charm and a wonderful aroma. Never had any staining problems.

4 parts Vodka to 1 part water???

donnamcr 03-29-2014 04:30 PM

In my quilting class, the teacher had us using sizing instead of Best Press. It is less expensive, doesn't stain, and doesn't make the fabric stiff. One of my local grocery stores carries it in the starch section.

Barbpr 03-29-2014 04:37 PM

I bought lavender Best Press at a retreat. When I used it there, I noticed lavender stains on the white fabric. I was shocked but the owner/coordinator of the retreat said it was impossible. Since I was making a Christmas themed quilt in reds, greens and mainly white, I knew it was the Best Press. Thanks for letting me know I am not color blind or crazy!

qltgrose 03-29-2014 08:02 PM

Ohhhhh thanks for the tip on the dilution! I love the stuff but try to use it sparingly, now I can be lavish :)

Colorful1 03-30-2014 08:14 AM

Iron your fabric before spraying it. The heat helps fabric absorb better.
A less expensive alternative to Best Press is Niagara non-aerosol spray starch. I personally prefer this to Best Press.

ging10ging 03-30-2014 08:19 AM

Thanks for the info diluting it I didn't realize it and bought a new one yesterday. I have the other bottle so I'll split it up. Have to save where we can. Thanks again. Sue