Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Press Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-press-question-t265321.html)

lovingLakeMich 05-18-2015 06:45 AM

Best Press Question

I am fairly new to quilting and have learned so much from QB. I appreciate the generous way members share their knowledge, thank you. I used Best Press for the first time and I believe that I read in a previous thread to be sure to wash the item with Best Press in it as it attracts silverfish. I had a major problem with silverfish years ago and do not wish to repeat it. So, my question is this: do you rinse out and dry the scraps before you store them or store them sealed in plastic? Has anyone had a problem with this?

joe'smom 05-18-2015 07:06 AM

I have never heard this before about Best Press. But I have heard that starch can attract critters of various kinds (Best Press is not starch, but a starch substitute). This is one of the reasons I use the more expensive Best Press over starch. I'll look forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

ManiacQuilter2 05-18-2015 08:42 AM

I never heard that problem before. Usually when I used starch, it is being made into a quilt, not being place in storage. Only creatures that I have had problem with are ants getting into my iron to the water.

gale 05-18-2015 11:16 AM

I use magic sizing since it supposedly doesn't attract bugs. I sometimes make a top or parts of a quilt and it sits for months (and I admit, sometimes years) before I get it finished and washed.

NJ Quilter 05-18-2015 11:19 AM

I do prewash but don't use starch on my fabric until I am ready to use it. Hence, no storage/bug issues. I also don't maintain a stash per se but what little I do maintain, I figure I'd need to iron it prior to usage anyhow so why starch twice??

caspharm 05-18-2015 11:23 AM

I have never heard of a problem with Best Press and insects. I understood it to be any plant based starch. Here is info from Orkin's website about silverfish: "They are especially attracted to paper and damp clothing. Commonly found in stored boxes in garages and sheds.

Silverfish feed on carbohydrates, particularly sugars and starches. Cellulose, shampoos, glue in books, linen, silk and dead insects may be food sources. Have been found in unopened food packages."

lovingLakeMich 05-18-2015 12:36 PM

Thank you, this is helpful and reassuring.

Charleen DiSante 05-18-2015 12:43 PM

Thanks for asking about the Best Press. Has anyone tried the vodka recipe (No, not to drink. :-) ) To use as best press. Seems like it would attract insects because it is plant based. Just wondering if anyone has experience?

gale 05-19-2015 10:25 AM

Once the vodka is distilled there is no potato or anything in it. I wouldn't think it would attract any bugs.

Peckish 05-19-2015 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7199146)
Best Press is not starch, but a starch substitute.

Just wondering where this information comes from. Best Press advertises itself as a "starch alternative", which doesn't necessarily mean it's not starch. The MSDS sheets state that it's in the "starch family".