Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best quilting pattern for log cabin? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-quilting-pattern-log-cabin-t96257.html)

quiltin chris 02-02-2011 05:06 PM

I am hand quilting a 22" square log cabin wallhanging.
Not real happy with the results so far. I am stitching in the ditch. Too many seams to cope with.

Any better ideas?

Chris

RUSewing 02-02-2011 05:10 PM

I've got a table runner that had the logs quilted in the middle. I'm real pleased with it,

AliKat 02-02-2011 06:30 PM

If you have those 'fancy stitches' on your sewing machine you can use them right down the length of each log to add interest. It actually looks nice. Sorry I don't have a picture.

Hand work is definitely NOT my thing.

ali

ghostrider 02-02-2011 06:55 PM

I like spiderweb patterns for log cabin blocks. The rigid straight lines of the block call for curved quilting lines to soften them up. Just my opinion.

quiltgrammyt2 02-02-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by quiltin chris
Not real happy with the results so far. I am stitching in the ditch. Too many seams to cope with.

Any better ideas?

Chris

I also would like to have some ideas on this,I made a queen size "Log Cabin"started hand quilting the same way you are, was taking forever so took all the stitches out and sent to the LAer for quilting.
:roll: :roll:

sewwhat85 02-02-2011 07:12 PM

i applaud you for trying i havent got the nerve yet

Prism99 02-02-2011 07:45 PM

Most hand quilters will not quilt in the ditch because it does not show off the quilting! It's more common to quilt down the middle of the logs. I love "Baptist fan" patterns quilted on log cabins, because they add curves to the geometric pattern, but that pattern involves crossing a lot of seams.

patchsamkim 02-02-2011 07:58 PM

Probably anything besides stitching in the ditch...curves are nice with the geometric pattern of the log cabins.

PiecesinMn 02-02-2011 08:01 PM

Quilting feathers in the light section of the blocks treating it as one big area (ignoring the block lines) looks really nice. The curves of the feathers really compliment the straightness of the logs. I took a class years ago and that was one of her tips when quilting - if the block is curvy (applique) looks great with a straight grid and if the block has straight lines (log cabin, rail fence and the like) curve quilting looks great. I think so, see if you agree.

Any better ideas?

Chris

quilterella 02-03-2011 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgrammyt2

Any better ideas?

Chris

I also would like to have some ideas on this,I made a queen size "Log Cabin"started hand quilting the same way you are, was taking forever so took all the stitches out and sent to the LAer for quilting.
:roll: :roll:

I have done several Log Cabins in the past 8 months, and I echo stitch on each side of the seam of every other log. It is a little time consuming, but, I really like the way going a 1/4" on each side of the seam makes things pop!. I can't sew a straight line (when quilting the top) to save my soul for, so SID is definitely out for me.