Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-rotary-cutter-t279421.html)

SofaBear 06-08-2016 11:33 PM

Best rotary cutter?

I am sorry if this q's been already asked a hundred times. I did search, but couldn't find my answer, I'll find it when I'm not looking for it.
Which rotary cutter do you prefer? I am left handed (I don't suppose this makes a difference) and I think I'd prefer a nice 'plump' handle.

Also, I know someone asked this before, but what is your favorite cutting mat?
Thank you. :0)

patricej 06-08-2016 11:54 PM

i prefer Olfa cutters.
i think they do make left-handed cutters, but couldn't swear to that.

Jane Quilter 06-09-2016 12:04 AM

For what?. I like the tiny Olfa one for cutting curves against a template. I like the 45mm bent handled Olfa for every day cuttng.

katier825 06-09-2016 01:22 AM

I like the Olfa ergonomic cutters best. It's nice that the blade retracts when you let go. You can lock it in either position as well. You can swap the blade to the other side for left handed cutting. I bought mine on ebay ages ago, with a pack of 20 blades for less than $20. It was an awesome deal!

QUILTNMO 06-09-2016 02:13 AM

Olfa!!!!!!

KenmoreGal2 06-09-2016 02:37 AM

I have a Fiskars. This one.

http://www.joann.com/fiskars-rotary-...5.html#start=4

It works fine. But after quilting for 2 years I wish I'd bought one that has a blade which automatically retracts when you stop gripping the handle. I think perhaps the one I am thinking of is an Olfa as others have recommended. I am very conscientious about pushing the little button on mine to put the blade back into hiding but every once in a while I forget to do that. Unfortunately my cutter is in perfect shape still so I won't be replacing it any time soon. Plus I had a minor issue with it when it was new and Fiskars sent me a 2nd one, it's still in the package!

You should also get a cutting glove. I have a Klutz one. I got it when I started quilting after reading some horror stories on this board. If I cut without it on, I feel naked. Kind of like driving without a seatbelt. It's a good habit to have.

As to the cutting mat, when I started quilting I was advised to get the biggest one I could fit and afford. I got a Fiskars 24 x 36 and I have been very happy with it. It's been 2 years and a lot of cutting. It's reversible. The price was good at Joann's when they had 50% off all quilting supplies. I bought the mat, ruler and rotary cutter the same day.

ckcowl 06-09-2016 02:49 AM

I have numerous cutters, olfa, fisckar, clover.... There are ( left hand cutters) it can make a difference-- my left handed granddaughter and husband can only successfully use certain ones. My favorite probably wouldn't be your favorite. There are many styles to choose from. Ones you let go of & they automatically close, ones you have to push a slide to close. Ones with lock/ safety buttons. Ergonomic ones... Everyone has their one preferences which is probably why you haven't found ( the answer) in your search.
Best to visit shops, shows, guild meetings, friends & try out different ones until you find what's best For You.

QuiltingHaven 06-09-2016 03:11 AM

After cutting off the tip of my finger - tetnus shot and lots of pain. I use only my Fons & Porter immediately retractable cutter and I recommend that one. But everyone has their on choices and they all cut nicely.

NJ Quilter 06-09-2016 03:20 AM

Easy answer first - I prefer the Olfa self-healing green mats. They last a long time and yes, flip them over when you wear out side one.

As to cutters, I would also recommend you go to a store; show; friend and touch and feel. I bought my traditional Olfa cutter ages ago and it's just fine. Perhaps because it's all I've known. I probably got a deal at the time and got the 28mm; 45mm and 60mm. I really only use the 45. I don't cut many layers at a time because I've never managed to accurately cut more than 2 at a time...even with the 60mm blade. Even around templates I prefer the 45 - especially with the rotating mat!

I don't use a glove when cutting but am almost religious when using mine that I retract the blade. It truly is a 'must do' safety measure when using a rotary cutter. So far I've had more nicks on my fingers from plain old scissors than rotary cutters. Fingers crossed it stays that way!

ManiacQuilter2 06-09-2016 03:34 AM

I also have always used Olfa but I now use a 28mm for most of my cutting. I tried the Clover but it is difficult to change blades and it still doesn't work correctly. I prefer Omnigrid mats. They are much thicker and have a gray back that I can also cut on. I was very disappointed with the quality of the last Olfa mat I bought. JAF is only offering the Omnigrid mats online. Be careful NOT to order a mat online during the summer heat. They will most lucky arrive warp since they have been in the delivery truck all day.