Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best rulers recommendation for DSM? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-rulers-recommendation-dsm-t280913.html)

Maureen NJ 07-31-2016 09:39 AM

Best rulers recommendation for DSM?

I am excited that Bernina is coming out with presser foot #72 soon for ruler work. I want to know what rulers (and manufacturers) you would recommend for the DSM? I'd like to get my wish list together. Thanks for our help.

ManiacQuilter2 07-31-2016 10:07 AM

Will this new foot work on your machine???

Tartan 07-31-2016 10:14 AM

When Amy posted about it on her site, I think they said there will be a foot and ruler package in 2017.

Dolphyngyrl 07-31-2016 06:38 PM

There is westalee, handiquilter, top anchor, rhonda, and quilt pro rulers. so many I would just start with a few basic

MadQuilter 07-31-2016 06:58 PM

When I checked into adding a ruler foot to my machine, I was told that the dealers are starting to void warranty if the damage is due to the ruler foot (Westalee ruler can cause a major problem when the needle up/down function is activated). Not sure if this is across the board but I would recommend checking with your dealer.

Kwiltr 07-31-2016 09:33 PM

The first time I used a ruler for quilting it was on my Sweet Sixteen Sitdown, and I went out and bought several different ones before even trying one. Subsequently, a ruler foot became available for my Janome DSM, so now I can also use rulers on it when I take it travelling with me and I quilt smaller projects with it. My advice would be to start with just a straight edge ruler with 1/4" lines etched in it for spacing reference in about a 10 or 12 inch size and or possibly a 6" size. There is so much you can do with a straight edge and it does take a bit of practice to get used to holding the ruler and moving the quilt sandwich at the same time. I use a ruler on most of my quilts now to some extent, and I hardly ever pull out all the different ones I have for actual stitching, but have used those more for marking. So before you make the investment in all the different ones, try the straight edge. While it's awesome to be able to also use a ruler on a DSM as well as a midarm or longarm, your space is comparably quite limited and I find my 10" too long sometimes for certain angles and switched to my 6". I have about a 9.5" harp space. I love being able to add ruler work to my quilting! All of this is JMHO, of course! ;o)

Also, make sure you get some stick on grip strip stuff to keep your ruler from sliding! Have fun!

QuiltnNan 08-01-2016 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7616228)
When I checked into adding a ruler foot to my machine, I was told that the dealers are starting to void warranty if the damage is due to the ruler foot (Westalee ruler can cause a major problem when the needle up/down function is activated). Not sure if this is across the board but I would recommend checking with your dealer.

thanks for this insight