Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best software for laptop? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-software-laptop-t58962.html)

grammatjr 08-11-2010 01:57 PM

I am thinking of getting a laptop, to work my quilt patterns and such on. I thought of EQ7, but it requires internet connection! I want to use it on the bus, etc, and do not want to pay extra to get wireless internet connections.

Do you use (and like) a program that allows you to design quilt patterns? I do most of my designing currently in a spreadsheet program, but have been thinking of an actual quilt design program, to help with yardage estimates mainly.

Thanks for your input.

Spudgm 08-11-2010 02:11 PM

You should be able to use EQ7 on your laptop, you just need the internet connection when you activate it the 1st time and then periodically (and as I understand it you will have prior warning) you would have to connect to the internet. But, you could do this when you were home and able to do so. Anyway, in my long-winded way, I'm saying you do not have to be connected all the time.

quiltsRfun 08-11-2010 02:36 PM

I use EQ7 on my laptop all the time without being connected to the internet.

jrhboxers 08-11-2010 02:39 PM

I have EQ7 and you do need to be connected to install it, and for periodic updates. I have had a cou[;e of update notices, but I think they are generated when you have been off-line for a certain length of time. When we went home to Indiana I used my husband lap top in the car, the hotel, etc. While we were in Indiana, after about 10-11 days, it sent me a message that I needed to 'hook-up' in order to check for updates. Logged in at my best friend's house, and all of the messages disappeared. I did get a message that there had been an update to some library but never really figured out what. On our way home, I logged-in with the laptop at the hotel, and have used it numerous times since with no new messages. Probably because I am on an internet connected desktop 99.9% of the time. In talking with the rep about another clitch - on my part - she said that it is basically to keep everything updated and to fix any quirks or system problems as they arise.

So the summary of my long-winded (sorry) speech is - you should be fine using it off-line as long as you check in once in awhile. HTH

amma 08-11-2010 02:57 PM

You can take your lap top to Borders bookstore, Starbucks, or a lot of other places once a month to update it.
Not only does EQ7 need to be updated, but there will be other updates for your various installed computer programs too :wink:
So If you go online even once a month for an hour or so, you should probably be able to get them all done at once :D:D:D

mom-6 08-11-2010 03:27 PM

I have a plug in data card (through my cell phone service provider) that I only use intermittantly. So far I have not been contacted about any EQ7 updates, but have not had any problems using it wherever I am, including when I don't even have the data card plugged in.

littlehud 08-12-2010 06:13 AM

I use my EQ all the time without being connected to the internet.