Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Spray Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-spray-starch-t45804.html)

Dorrie 05-15-2010 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the info on starching. I love this forum and have learned so much.

Dorrie

nellie 05-15-2010 07:06 PM

ladies i was talking about those of you who where looking for the top thats gose on soda pop bottles to spray clothes for ironing not spray starch vermont county stores sells them ,i have brought several because they are hard to find ,hope i help you looking for tops to place on bottles for spraying you fabrics to get them ready to iron the store has so many things to sell from the past

Chigger Holler Quilter 05-15-2010 07:49 PM

I'm wondering how in the world I quilted for EVER without knowing the benefits of starching!?! You can bet I'll be on the starch isle tomorrow! Just kidding...I really did learn about the benefits on the QB though. Thanks everyone. It does help.

barbrdunn 05-15-2010 10:38 PM

I starch most everything. It is especially great when I am sewing small pieces, and HST's. Aside from accurate cutting and matching corners, starching allows you to effectively finger press seams when you are chain piecing. It saves lots of time.

sandpat 05-16-2010 04:49 AM

I just discovered (well tried out) Mary Ellen's Best Press....I'll never go back!

Lady Diana 05-16-2010 07:31 AM

Mary Ellen's comes in Lavender, It smells wonderful.
D in TX

Shorebird 05-16-2010 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
A very kind and generous friend gave me a bottle of MaryEllen's. wonderful stuff. i just wish it wasn't so expensive. i can't find it anywhere for under $42 a gallon.

so, i am sticking with the liquid starch i can get at the grocery store for less than $3 per gallon. i can mix my own strength, and spend the savings on more fabric. i do get flakes if i spray on too much at one time but they brush off and i move on.

and the tip about spraying and pressing on the back of the fabric is right on target. it does make a big difference.

Patrice, If you have signed up for the Joann's coupons on line, when they have their 50% off - you can order a gallon of MaryEllen's Bet Press, with shipping for under $26.00. While not cheap, you get what you pay for, and it does last........

Grandma Phyl 05-16-2010 09:33 AM

wal-Mart carries the sizing under $1 its in a blue can, use it all the time love it.

ProudGranny5 05-16-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I bought a bottle of Sta-Flo and that stuff is the bomb!!!! I put it in a squirt bottle mixing it 3/4 starch and 1/4 water and let me tell you once you squirt it on an let it dry then iron it I stood a 6" block on edge and that sucker didnt even want to fold over!!!!

I am digging the Sta-Flo and just a touch over $2 for a quart bottle your getting your moneys worth!!

Billy

Billy:
Not laughing at you... but with you. LOL
Never used starch before... but I think when I do; I will use your invention for sure!
Gesh, I didn't know you were suppose to let it dry!

linnajune 05-16-2010 04:05 PM

My Mama always told me that if you starch anything (crochet, linens etc) and store it with the starch in it that it will cause the fabric to rot eventually. Anytime I store something that I will not be using regularly, I always try to make sure that it doesnot have starch in it.