Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best thread for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-thread-quilting-t65097.html)

Norene B 09-16-2010 01:59 PM

Grrrrrr, I just hate the Star thread that is supposed to be for machine quilting. It breaks easily when sewing and if you pull it apart it frays. I need some help on the best thread to use. Thanks

Sadiemae 09-16-2010 02:04 PM

Everyone has their favortie, and you can get many many different opinions. Superior Threads has some really good ones. I have one of those machines that really likes Swirls. I also got some on ebay quite awhile ago that I don't know the brand of, my machine really liked. What I recommend is that you get a spool of several different brands and try them.

ChubbyBunny 09-16-2010 02:11 PM

I think "Star" is made by Coats and Clark. I avoid that brand because (in my opinion) it is cheap and doesn't hold up well. I use Superior thread for machine quilting. YLI is good too.

MadQuilter 09-16-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny
I think "Star" is made by Coats and Clark. I avoid that brand because (in my opinion) it is cheap and doesn't hold up well. I use Superior thread for machine quilting. YLI is good too.

Interesting. Yes, it is made by Coats and Clark and I absolutely love it. So do my machines.

Goes to show, there is no one-size-fits-all in quilting. Phew, that's good too or this board might get boring. lol

Hope you find one that works - have you tried Connecting Thread spools?

cjtinkle 09-16-2010 02:35 PM

Superior threads makes wonderful threads for quilting, King Tut, So Fine, Bottom Line, all terrific.

Jan in VA 09-16-2010 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Originally Posted by ChubbyBunny

Interesting. Yes, it is made by Coats and Clark and I absolutely love it. So do my machines.

Goes to show, there is no one-size-fits-all in quilting. Phew, that's good too or this board might get boring. lol

Hope you find one that works - have you tried Connecting Thread spools?

Concur 100%, isn't it interesting?
I sew on a Bernina 1031 (1990s era) and an original 830 (1970s era as opposed to the $7000+ reincarnated/new 830!), and have no problems with thread or piecing. I always use a Schmetz Universal 80/12 or 75/11 needle for piecing, and store all my thread out of the sunlight and dust in a thread cabinet.

Jan in VA

Kas 09-16-2010 03:28 PM

I love Mettler, YLI, King Tut, Sulky (cotton), and I do like Star. I absolutely hate Aurifil. I must have gotten old thread in both of the shops where I bought it. It has popped in both quilts I used it in. One of those is my avatar quilt. And that was after the first washing. I just won't risk it again. I get so tempted by all the pretty colors, but I will spend my money on something that hasn't burned me. Lots of people love it and have no problems. It just must hate me!

littlehud 09-16-2010 06:47 PM

I love thread from Connecting Threads. This is just for machine quilting though.

retired2pa 09-16-2010 06:50 PM

I've stopped using Coats & Clark because of all the lint it leaves in my machines. I've recently switched to King Tut and Bottom Line by Superior. What a difference! I guess you get what you pay for :)

Norene B 09-16-2010 06:54 PM

I noticed all the lint also with this thread.