Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   best tool to find 1/4 inch seam? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-tool-find-1-4-inch-seam-t227311.html)

quiltmom04 08-07-2013 04:34 AM

I put an omnigrid ruler under the pressure foot and SLOWLY lower the needle just to touch one of the lines. Then I mark 1/4" away with a sharpie. If you want to really be precise, you have to take into account the width of the thread. If you use Connecting threads thread, you will have to have the sew, be a bit larger than if you use John Flynn's So Fine. When you fold the seam over to press it, the bigger thread takes up more space than the thinner thread. Again, though, it depends on precise you need/want/care to be.

pumpkinpatchquilter 08-07-2013 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6216722)
Bonnie Hunter has a seam guide that she puts on most of her machines. It is on her site www.quiltville.blogspot.com under the tips tab at the top of the page. It is under Best Seam Guide Ever and involves a 3M strip and a hotel key card.

I was going to mention Bonne - she also sells a little acrylic template for $3 at her workshops...it's a little ruler with holes in it, you drop your needle in the 1/4" hole and it shows you a true 1/4". I'm not sure if it's available on her site or not but I love mine!!!

quiltyjax 08-07-2013 04:58 AM

I use the 1/4" foot with the metal edge that came with the "Quilter's Companion Set" of my Janome. I've never actually measured to see if it's absolutely accurate but, in my experience, if you carefully use the same foot in all the piecing of your top it will fit together at the intersecting seams and the points. If I took part in a round robin quilt I expect I would have to be more precise but so far I never have. As I only quilt for pleasure I don't want any extra hassle. The 1/4" foot (with edge) is fine for me.

lynndianne 08-07-2013 05:22 AM

Yipes.....checking the width of thread...I'm going crazy. I always ask "If I can't get a 1/4 inch, how do you expect me to get a scant (2 threads?)? I am doing better with a stack of painters tape.

Lynn

kay carlson 08-07-2013 05:58 AM

One of my machines has the 1/4-inch setting, but you have to select that position. By default this machine always centers the needle and I had forgotten (yeah, I know!) about the needle right feature.... At the very least, I now check for the feature on whichever machine I am using. Good Luck :-)

FroggyinTexas 08-07-2013 07:39 AM

For crying out loud! Buy a 1/4 inch presser foot and use that. It will be a lot more accurate than anything else you can do. You can find them on-line. Amazon probably has them. froggyintexas

meanmom 08-07-2013 07:54 AM

I have a 1/4 inch foot for my Janome. It isn't exactly 1/4 inch. I found out it wasn't exact when I made a circle quilt. Luckily I figured it out early in the project. I can move my needle position a couple of clicks to make it exact. I now check it from time to time and it hasn't changed. I am taking my machine in for a tune up tomorrow and will check it again when I get it back. Can you move your needle to make a perfect 1/4 inch with your foot?

jcrow 08-07-2013 08:06 AM

I bought the 'PREP TOOL' from Guidelines 4 Quilting. It gives you a 'scant' 1/4" seam. You place it down under your foot and bring your needle down flush with the left side of the tool. Then you lay a Seam Guide on the right side of the tool. Then raise the foot and pick up the tool and put it back in its plastic bag. I've had mine for a few years and it's in perfect condition.

They also sell 'Seam Guides' that don't leave sticky residue that you place next to the 'PREP TOOL'. The 'PREP TOOL' can be used for many things besides being a 'scant' 14" seam guide. It also has a lifetime replacement guarantee. The 'PREP TOOL' is on sale for $10.76 and comes with an 8 page booklet. You don't need the booklet. It's self explanatory. The Guidelines 6 pack seam guides are $2.99. I love this tool and these seam guides. It's all I use.

Petalpatsy 08-07-2013 08:30 AM

I got the Perfect Piecing Seam Guide from Perkins Dry Goods and the Q-tools purple vinyl sewing guides. Whenever I got mine, they came together in the same package, but it seems like they are sold separately on Amazon now. Instant perfection.
[h=1][/h]

MarleneC 08-07-2013 11:27 AM

I have 2 seam gauges--one is red and the other is yellow. I purchased the yellow one from Nancy's Notions http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+seam+guide.do this was recommended by one of the Craftsy class teachers. The red one comes with a strip to put on the machine--it is called Quilter's Gauge by Dritz. I do not remember where I ordered this from.