Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best type of thread to use on a Viking Mega Quilter on a Frame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-type-thread-use-viking-mega-quilter-frame-t170131.html)

Elginrunnerswife 11-28-2011 07:26 AM

Best type of thread to use on a Viking Mega Quilter on a Frame?

For those of you that have a mega quilter on a frame, what have you found is the best brand and weight of thread to use? I just started working on it last night and really need to find a source where I can get the best bang for my buck but not sacrifice quality that it needs to run smoothly. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!!

ontheriver 11-28-2011 07:30 AM

I use all kinds of thread in mine, from the cheap cones you can get at Joanns to those from connecting threads. I have never used expensive threads (can not afford them) and I have never had a problem. Just put mine on a home made frame a few months ago and I love it.

sandy l 11-28-2011 07:49 AM

I have used CT thread and also serger thread from Hancocks. I have a Voyager 17, and both seem to work ok as long as I have the same thread in both bobbin and top. I use to use Aurefill, but started having some problems on my Voyager.

mighty 11-28-2011 09:02 AM

I have used all brands of thread on mine with no problems. I prefer Superior and CT but all have worked well for me.
Only problems I have encountered were operator error and not threads be sure thread is seated in tension discs, and bobbin is in properly. Some threads have more lint than others so just be sure to keep machine clean.

Pat M. 11-28-2011 09:11 AM

Superior Threads is what I like. Next on list is King Tut, then YLI.
I use 50 weight on top and bottom or 40 weight on top with 50 weight on bottom. It depends on the way
you want the quilt to look. Another good on is Invisafil, your quilt shop should be able to order it.
If you don't mind the lint Connecting Threads is another good thread, just remember to clean out the bobbin area
every time you change the bobbin!

Elginrunnerswife 11-28-2011 09:57 AM

Thanks everyone for all the help! My wonderful husband is researching for the best place to get thread and is asking me questions on weight and such. All I know at this point is that I am in love with my machine and frame and was up till 2 am this morning seeing what all it and the qbot can do and am dead tired today!! LOL Then husband just texted me from work to say he is quiltin on it and learnin even more! This quilt I have on there is gonna be crazyy for sure! Haha!

mighty 11-28-2011 11:37 AM

I am so glad to hear all is going well with your machine!! There are two sites out there that you would probably really enjoy and are like this one have wonderful members and a lot of helpful advice!! They are groups on yahoo, one for mega quilters and you can join the qbot group thru the qbot website. Enjoy and happy quilting!!!!!