Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best way to buy batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-way-buy-batting-t260817.html)

quiltingbuddy 02-04-2015 08:56 PM

Best way to buy batting

I've always bought batting in a package, usually queen size. But often I cut it down to make a large lap size and then I have odd sized pieces left that I have to piece or use as a table runner. That's fine but I'm not so much into runners and wonder what is the best way to buy batting so there isn't so much waste? I've never bought batting off the bolt but maybe that's the best way. How do you buy your batting?

Ariannaquilts 02-04-2015 09:06 PM

I always buy my batting by the yard, the wider the better since I use the same one 90% of the time piecing larger pieces together isn't a problem. I don't like wasting my batting.

Jim's Gem 02-04-2015 09:11 PM

I usually buy a whole bolt. Order it from JoAnns.com when it is on sale for 50% off. For my large queen/king quilts, I buy a package of king size batting.

Cari-in-Oly 02-04-2015 09:36 PM

I buy it by the bolt from Walmart.com, it usually beats JoAnns sale prices.

Cari

AngeliaNR 02-04-2015 09:51 PM

I buy it by the roll (30 yards/96" wide) from BattMart. I also piece leftover pieces.

Gramie bj 02-04-2015 11:05 PM

I figured it per sq inch by roll and by precut. Saved about $75 by the bolt. That was before Joann 50% off. It does take up more room and my DH has to help me wrestle it around when I need to roll it out to cut. That's why I will make 3-6 tops than cut all batting needed.

ckcowl 02-05-2015 03:48 AM

I also purchase bolts from *BattMart* . also when connecting threads has their batting sales I pick up a variety of sizes, generally the ones smaller than my bolt is wide, throws, baby size, craft size, queen & king wool and a couple queen black battings so I have a good variety of sizes, types for what ever comes along.
I also piece scraps and use them up. I just butt the edges together and zigzag them together. Often the cut away pieces are perfect for throws, kid/ baby quilts or for raggy quilts

Barb_MO 02-05-2015 05:38 AM

I have ordered from Joanns by the bolt when it is 50% off, but when I need it in a hurry I buy from Gammills because they are close to me and I can go there, buy and also buy thread, shop and dine out and still get home within a few hours.

WandaVA 02-05-2015 06:03 AM

I order by the bolt from Joanns when it is 50% off...and there is a free shipping coupon.

Buckeye Rose 02-05-2015 06:16 AM

It would depend if you always use the same batting, or if you will use different battings for different quilts. I use whatever batting is best for that particular quilt, so I buy prepackaged batting. I prefer hobbs and buy from connecting threads when on sale, but I found an oops on Walmarts website that netted me 4 packages of 110"sq high loft poly batting for $11 total. I ordered 8 packages and made them honor the advertising (they have since changed the description). So I am currently full of batting!