Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Way to remove chalk (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-way-remove-chalk-t24038.html)

nuttyhurricane 08-11-2009 04:11 PM

I used a blue and yellow chalk pencil to draw the lines I wanted to quilt. Now that I am finished doing my quilting I can still see the lines :( What is the best way to remove them? Some of them are on white squares and very visable.

Katrina

amma 08-11-2009 07:18 PM

Maybe Oxyclean will take it out??? Mix a little up and sponge some on and see if it lifts the stain.

Somebunny 08-11-2009 08:24 PM

I love oxyclean for tough stains, but be careful with your prize posesions. I had it strip a peace of weaving of a lot of it's color when I tried to use it for cleaning, so am VERY carful when using it with colors and fibers. A new Oxyclean liquid stain remover is out now. It may be more gentle than the powder.

Quilt4u 08-12-2009 01:58 AM

I use a stain remover stick on mine. check a small pice of scrap fabric that was form your quilt (scraps ) first too make sure they don't run. I have had no problems yet.

nuttyhurricane 08-12-2009 06:49 AM

Thank you for all your help. I was just skiddish to try anything. Forgetting I had scraps I could try it out on. Thanks, I will try each of them as see what works for me. Especially on the white.

Katrina

Shemjo 08-12-2009 08:42 AM

Be sure to let us know what worked best for you, and share with us pictures of the quilt! :lol:

oksewglad 08-12-2009 02:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions--I too have a small quilt I need to get the chalk marks out of

nuttyhurricane 08-13-2009 03:57 PM

Just to let you each know I place three each blue and three yellow stripes of chalk on my scrap piece of white material. I tried just plain water on one of each color. I used a very used spin brush to work the water in. The blue came most of the way out. The yellow stayed. Maybe not as wide or quite a yellow however definitely still there.
Then I used a tide to go pen on the second of my stripes. The blue went away. But yellow the same as the water. I tried the spin brush on it too. Still there.
3rd trial. I used Shout stain remover. Same results as the last two tries.
I presently do not have any of the oxi-clean stuff will have get a small sample and try it.
Hope this helps everyone else out there. Don't use your chalk unless you are going to quilt it that day and deal with it is what I learned.
The only other thing I can think of is to give my quilt a gentle but through cleaning as soon as it is finished. Still need to do more quilting through out the quilt. I will post a picture of it when it is completely finished.

Katrina

Shemjo 08-13-2009 06:53 PM

Thanks for the update! Sorry that you are not having any success!

Mousie 08-14-2009 04:57 AM

so glad to know this about the chalk! I was heavily leaning towards buying some of those pencils, but gonna wait and see what kind of success you have in getting the yellow out. I don't like to wash after finishing, before giving to the recipient.