Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which is better? Accuquilt Go or Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Cutter?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/better-accuquilt-go-simplicity-deluxe-rotary-cutter-t72601.html)

DeniseP 10-27-2010 08:33 AM

I would love to have a rotary cutter that would not hurt my writst or shoulder. These are chronic problems that are kept under control with limited cutting and I think these tools would help me to quilt more. Does anyone have an opinion either way about them? I need help to make an informed decision and this is the best place to get it.

purplemem 10-27-2010 09:47 AM

use the "search" function, there are many threads on both of these.

BellaBoo 10-27-2010 09:55 AM

I have the Go and it's great. It has saved my hands and shoulder from cutting pain.

Prism99 10-27-2010 09:59 AM

If that's the cutter that is supposed to cut strips for you, it has gotten really bad reviews. It is not sufficiently accurate for quilting purposes.

I have the Go! and really like it.

For strips, a much less expensive option than the Go! is a Shape Cut mat but it does require using a rotary cutter.

Have you tried a Martelli rotary cutter? It keeps the wrist in a neutral position so is easier for some people to use.

BellaBoo 10-27-2010 10:07 AM

The new Go Baby is less expensive and will cut strips.

plainpat 10-27-2010 11:06 AM

Another vote for the Go cutter.Haven't seen/used the Baby, so have no info to offer.Never looked at the Simplicity...just be sure to read reviews on any cutter you consider.

chiaraquilts 10-27-2010 11:07 AM

I love my accuquilt- I have had carpal tunnel problems in both hands and it is a huge help!

AliKat 10-27-2010 12:07 PM

As far as cutting goes ... I love my accuquilt. I only have to have one slight pressure point and I can cut easily. No problems with my arthritis.

Several friends also love the Martelli rotary cutter.

ali

yolanda 10-27-2010 12:16 PM

I only have experience with the Accuquilt studio cutter. I bought it after getting tendonitas in my 'cutting arm' - I was cutting layers of denim & flannel for rag quilts. I since have had shoulder surgery and all is pretty much corrected but still can only rotary cut a tiny bit at a time. The Accuquilt has saved me tons of pain and discomfort - I LOVE it. I would not be able to cut as much without it. I can roll the dies through the machine all day long with no problem.

Originally Posted by DeniseP
I would love to have a rotary cutter that would not hurt my writst or shoulder. These are chronic problems that are kept under control with limited cutting and I think these tools would help me to quilt more. Does anyone have an opinion either way about them? I need help to make an informed decision and this is the best place to get it.

bakermom 10-27-2010 01:04 PM

I've used both. While the Simplicity strip cutter works OK, I was really not impressed. I felt I could do better with my rotary cutter. Accuquilt was great but I don't know if it would be worth the cost just for strips. Now the less expensive BabyGo, I might do it. I tried them both out because I have carpel tunnel, tendonitis etc. so anything repetitive causes problems for me. While the accuquilt was definately the easiest on my wrist, it did give me a sore shoulder. Oh well.