Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which is better? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/better-t197156.html)

zimmersg 08-09-2012 01:24 PM

Which is better?

I'm in the market to purchase a frame so I can machine quilt. I have a Singer Confidence Quilter and have decided I'm ready to try a bigger set up, but don't want to take on a second car payment or mortgage payment so I'm looking for something used.

I've got 2 deals I'm considering between.

First is a Pennywinkle 10' frame with a Juki TL98E machine. It looks to be in great shape and she has some patterns that go with it too. The price is $1,000.

Second is a 16' frame with a KQ622 machine. It comes with the bobbin winder and some patterns. This table would require me to replace the wood table part, as it is particle board and has become warped. The lady is asking $800 for all.

Being a beginner, I have no clue what questions to ask or what to look for when I go see these two set-ups in person. What advise or suggestions do you all have?

Thank you SO much,
Susan

Gramie bj 08-09-2012 02:04 PM

Ask to try them out, ask present owner to show you how they work, who did her maintaince work on the machines (then call the shop and tell them you are considering buying Mrs. SO AN SO's machine can they give you any information on it?) before you go call a dealer that sells the machines, ask them what to look for and if either machine has a history of problems, do they service the machines in house or send out? Good luck! both sound like good prices! I would lean tword the 16 in. myself, just for the size alone, I have an 18 and I sure wish it was larger.

ckcowl 08-09-2012 02:11 PM

i would ask to try them out- if you went to a dealer to purchase a quilting machine/table you would test drive it-
see which one you like better---and wow---16 foot table!!! that is huge---i've never seen one larger than 14 foot and i thought that was the (Rolls Royce) of quilting systems- being a gammil that cost more than my car.
but- i would not consider either with out trying them out & seeing how they work- what kind of features they have- you also want to find out where you can have them serviced, where tech support & possible classes could be found- contact the manufacturer websites & see what is available- what kind of upgrades may be available- how to maintain it- ...so many things to consider...and check out & if you are test driving- you will have plenty of questions pop into your head---what kind of shape are the tracks in? the carriage? lighting? ...

Gramie bj 08-09-2012 02:19 PM

Are the 10 and 16 the size of the machine harp, or the length of frame.

virtualbernie 08-09-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 5429529)
Are the 10 and 16 the size of the machine harp, or the length of frame.

That's what I was wondering.

zimmersg 08-09-2012 05:11 PM

The 10 and 16 are the length of the frames.

The 16 foot is appealing to me, but I don't know much about the Ken Quilting machine. Their website is no longer for the machines, so I wonder about being able to get service if I need to. I'm going to call the place I would take it to and talk to them tomorrow. I really didn't think about future service issues! The down side to me is that it is 16 feet long. Double edged sord sort of. It does not set up any smaller. The 10 foot table is newer and comes with the Juki machine.

Both are set up and both ladies have offered to demonstrate when I make it out to see them. I haven't been able to find much on the internet about the Pennywinkle frame nor the Ken Quilter machine. So, there is something about each package that's a bit of the unknown to me, other than the fact that I'm getting into something I've never done before.

Will a king size quilt fit on a 10 foot frame? I don't know that I'd ever make a king size, but heck I never thought I'd be thinking of doing this to begin with.

Thanks for all of the responses!

Jingle 08-10-2012 01:14 PM

I have a Juki TL98QE (no extension table) and I love the Juki machines, very top quality. I think for long arming quilts the larger the throat on the machine the better.

zimmersg 08-11-2012 05:02 AM

The throat on the Juki shows to be 9 inches and the throat on the Ken Quilter machine is 11.5 inches. Still don't know where I would put a 16 foot frame. I'm going to go look at it this weekend and measure it. I can't find a 16 foot frame anywhere online, so I'd like to measure it and see.

Thanks for all of the advice!