Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which is "the better of two evils"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/better-two-evils-t284814.html)

ruby2shoes 12-30-2016 02:29 AM

Which is "the better of two evils"?

I have just completed a top that is primarily white columns with a scattering of colored HSTs. My problem is that I did not have enough white to complete the top as the fabrics were from my stash. So, I had to purchase more (about 25% of the top) but try as I might, I could not match the white. So I settled on the best match I could manage. Visually, it makes me wince a bit (think bright white versus cream) but I am "taking it on the chin" and chalking it up to experience....the quilt is just for me so it's no real drama. I have now found some other white in my stash...a closer match to the predominant white in the top BUT I think it is a thinner weave/quality. Once it is placed on top of the batting I'm thinking it's thin-ness won't be noticeable and once it is quilted all will be secure. So, do I replace the obvious "wince" white columns with the thinner weave stuff so it looks more consistent colour wise or do I leave it as is and be satisfied that quilting and time will "soften" the colour difference. And, is the thinner but closer matching coloured fabric likely to cause problems if it is an inferior quality? What is more important...

This is what happens when I try to be a good girl and use what fabric I have instead of buying more!:(

QuiltnNan 12-30-2016 04:25 AM

i'd leave what you have. the new white you say is closer, but it probably isn't perfect. you'd go to all that work and then maybe still not be satisfied? if it were for a gift, i'd probably feel differently

quiltsRfun 12-30-2016 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7728812)
i'd leave what you have. the new white you say is closer, but it probably isn't perfect. you'd go to all that work and then maybe still not be satisfied? if it were for a gift, i'd probably feel differently

What she said.

PaperPrincess 12-30-2016 05:14 AM

I would also just leave it. It's making you wince because you'e looking at it very critically. I haven't seen it, but I would think it adds visual interest!

QuiltE 12-30-2016 05:16 AM

From what you have said, I am thinking that the added white/cream is more so bordering the main part of your quilt top. Thus would not be that hard to remove and switch in the new whiter one?

I am one who is of the mind that it is better to take the time and switch things while I still can. Usually those early gut feelings are bang on!! So I might as well listen to it, as later, I will just hate it .... and hide the quilt! Why do all the work, if ?????????

My suggestion would be to lay your quilt top on top of a bed, or floor.
Then overlay your new white onto the parts you are replacing.
Then walk away.

Periodically come back, for what I call that "quick glance" .... often times to me, it is those quick unexpected looks at something (like this) that tell me whether it is the "right" match, or not. Whereas, if I "study" it, I start second guessing myself............

I am doing that right now with a border candidate. I have it on the wall of my office, and when I walk in, I have forgotten about it, and the first, quick glance, lets me see it fresh and somewhat unexpectedly. Yes, I think it is the one! :)

Good Luck!

gingerd 12-30-2016 06:40 AM

I'd keep what you have and add more color!

Add scrappy borders to enlarge the quilt.

Tartan 12-30-2016 07:16 AM

Since it is for yourself, I would go for the sturdier fabric over colour. I recently did a quilt that I thought would look good with a variety of white on white fabrics for the background of my pieced blocks. Bad idea ! some just looked dingy against the white ones. I quilted it up and moved on. Next time I made sure to buy enough of white to use for the whole top.

Treasureit 12-30-2016 07:24 AM

I think it depends on what your plans are for the quilt...will it lay flat on a bed or be used as a throw? For me...I would use it as it is for a throw, but if it will be displayed I would change it...that would bug me.

Jeanne S 12-30-2016 09:09 AM

I would change it with the better color match if the other will continue to irritate you.

GEMRM 12-30-2016 09:11 AM

if the new fabric seems thin, would it be possible to double it up? Or would that make too much bulk? It would eliminate the possibility of the batting showing thru?
If the difference in whites bothers you now, will you be happy if you can see it after quilting? If so, I'd bit the bullet and change it now. If not, then leave it.