Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   beyer border prints - help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beyer-border-prints-help-t269608.html)

stillclock 09-04-2015 07:57 PM

beyer border prints - help?

1 Attachment(s)
hi!

what are your tips and tricks and goof fixes for working to make these prints line up symmetrically?

i have read the tutorials, watched her videos and i am trying really hard. but i know people who do this have little tricks they use to fix goofs and prevent them.

please share?

i have 44 more corners to go....but here's an example of what i'm doing. two of the corners are perfect and two are not. i would love them to be just so, knowing they'll only ever be so close :)

thanks!

aileen

quiltsRfun 09-04-2015 08:35 PM

They all look good to me.

janedee 09-04-2015 08:50 PM

I haven't any tips etc to offer, but just wanted to say I had to really study the block to see which corners you meant!! whatever you are doing looks really good. Love the colours and pattern - think its going to be a beautiful quilt.

bearisgray 09-04-2015 09:24 PM

You could make a template and mark the center of it, then center the template over your design and cut the pieces out one at a time.

There probably is a more efficient way of doing it, but by cutting out each piece separately, one has a lot of control over the placement of the template.

I once cut out a kaleidoscope quilt by cutting one piece, then laying that piece over the exact same place in the print and then cutting around the "original" piece - and using that first cut piece as a pattern for the rest of the pieces.

stillclock 09-04-2015 10:37 PM

hm....okay. but i think the problem isn't so much the cutting as making the mitres themselves. the blocks are absolutely square, so i centered the flower motif to the centre of the block. the worst of the corners is quite obviously off because while the block is square, it is not necessarily symmetrical.

i could of course just chill out. but jinny's are always so accurate so i know it's POSSIBLE you know?

aileen

stillclock 09-04-2015 10:38 PM

and thank you, always always.

aileen

Maureen NJ 09-05-2015 02:02 AM

Personally, I think it looks fine. I really had to look. I think if the narrow edge on either side of the flowers was off, that would be noticeable. Yours is perfect!

liking quilting 09-05-2015 03:13 AM

Love your block,and I liked Bearsisgray's suggestions.

regm 09-05-2015 03:53 AM

Looks perfect to me. If mine looked that good, I'd be doing a happy dance.

bjchad 09-05-2015 04:17 AM

Since you think it was making the miters, I would guess your block wasn't completely square, so squaring up or blocking the block square would help. Or the seams are slightly off. I'm always struggling with my 1/4" seams. Otherwise you could use the method for rectangles.
Just a thought!
By the way, the sample looks lovely, and while the one corner is noticeable if you are clued in the look for it I don't think most people will notice.