Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BH&G Antique quilts magazine VENT (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bh-g-antique-quilts-magazine-vent-t41131.html)

bearspaws 03-29-2010 03:24 PM

Ok, so I thought I wanted this magazine until I looked at the price on the front- $16.99 CDN!! For a magazine that has patterns in it that I can find free on the net if I look hard enough, or patterns that are in about a dozen other magazines that I already own. Anyone else think it's a rip off to ask almost $17 for a magazine with patterns in it that have already been "recycled" 50 times over already?? I really liked the batik oak leaf and reel pattern, but I've also seen that pattern free on the net and have it in other magazines I already own, and to make it out of batiks, well, I can think of that myself, without a $17 magazine. Sorry, had to vent LOL...
Ev

mom-6 03-29-2010 03:38 PM

That's why I rarely buy books or patterns....

littlehud 03-29-2010 06:05 PM

Unless there is tons of info in that mag. it sounds like a rip off to me.

redquilter 03-29-2010 06:18 PM

I think the price of magazines (ALL of them) has really gotten crazy. I don't buy them anymore. My library doesn't have quilting magazines, but they do have many others and I borrow from them. I get quilting patterns online. Free!

Gal 03-29-2010 06:41 PM

I use my library a lot for books and patterns for many things I make, I have started buying books and quilting mags second hand over the net and have got some real bargins I think!Also I have started to look for fabrics this way also.
Gal

earthwalker 03-29-2010 06:45 PM

I too frequent our local library and often buy mags and patterns second hand. Haven't bought a new book or mag. for years. I would rather spend my money on thread and fabric.

Darlene 03-30-2010 03:09 AM

Why vent when all they are trying to do is make a big profit. Don't like it don't buy it.

Jingle 03-30-2010 04:19 AM

I'm giving up all magazines, except This Old House, I love that one. I have lots of quilt books and make quilts from them or make up my own. I give most quilts away and keep only select ones.
What I hate about magazines now is, they want to renew automatic, I don't like automatic renewals. BH&G kept sending an invoice and I didn't pay attention and I was renewed until 2011, that was several years ago. That was a shame on me.

bearspaws 03-30-2010 07:19 AM

I didn't like it, and I didn't buy it. And I'm tired of these guys trying to make a big profit without actually using an original idea. It might have been okay for $8, but $17?? I had serious sticker shock!! Good thing I looked for a price before I went to the register. I put it back real quick! I'm finding plenty of free nice patterns online as well.

Barbara A. 03-30-2010 09:20 PM

I enjoy the older magazines...less advertisements and more patterns. At my sewing friends group, we have a lady who buys the magazines, and brings them to us to view before passing them to Goodwill or Salvation Army. The price is too much for what you get anymore.