Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bias Binding for quilt with inside corners? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bias-binding-quilt-inside-corners-t288845.html)

Watson 06-09-2017 09:46 AM

Bias Binding for quilt with inside corners?

...with inside corners?

I've watched the videos and I think I can figure out the binding of this wallhanging with its inside corners, but I'm wondering if I should use a bias binding or just a regular binding would work?
I've never made a bias binding before.
Any tips?

Watson

cjsews 06-09-2017 09:58 AM

I would think regular binding would work as long as you are not binding curves

cashs_mom 06-09-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7840288)
I would think regular binding would work as long as you are not binding curves

I agree with cjsews. Regular binding should be fine. If you needed just a bit of give, you could cut it WOF. That usually provides just a hint of give

QuiltE 06-09-2017 10:24 AM

I would go with bias binding .... the stretch it allows you will help turn those inside corners, and help lessen the cursing of the inside corners!

Let Best Press or even a starch, be your best friend to make the bias binding.
Treat and press it well, before you start cutting, to help control any stretch-risk!
Then make your binding, as you normally would.

That's the easy part .... then the fun (???) of the inside corners. :)

Good Luck!! ... I am sure you will do fine.

DogHouseMom 06-09-2017 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7840304)
I would go with bias binding .... the stretch it allows you will help turn those inside corners, and help lessen the cursing of the inside corners!

Let Best Press or even a starch, be your best friend to make the bias binding.
Treat and press it well, before you start cutting, to help control any stretch-risk!
Then make your binding, as you normally would.

That's the easy part .... then the fun (???) of the inside corners. :)

Good Luck!! ... I am sure you will do fine.

Totally agree with QuiltE, especially if the inside turns are not at right angles. Heck ... even if there are outside non-right-angle turns I would go with bias binding.

The only place I disagree with QuiltE (this is a first!!) is that I probably would not press the binding. By not pressing it you can manipulate into place better ... some "wiggle room" so to speak.

Fabric Galore 06-09-2017 12:32 PM

I vote for bias binding because it will be so much easier working on the inside curves but IMHO I also believe that binding cut on the bias wears better than fabric cub on the straight of grain.

QuiltE 06-09-2017 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 7840335)
................The only place I disagree with QuiltE (this is a first!!) is that I probably would not press the binding. By not pressing it you can manipulate into place better ... some "wiggle room" so to speak.

hhmmmmmm ... you have me thinking about this, as to whether not-pressing would be a plus
However, wiggle room is always good to have! :)

MadQuilter 06-09-2017 12:52 PM

Alex Anderson uses straight binding for inside corners. She actually snips into the corner and pulls it almost straight when attaching the binding. Then she manipulates the binding to fit nicely into the corner.

cashs_mom 06-09-2017 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7840396)
Alex Anderson uses straight binding for inside corners. She actually snips into the corner and pulls it almost straight when attaching the binding. Then she manipulates the binding to fit nicely into the corner.

Thanks, Martina. That's something I'd forgotten about. Years ago I took a class and there were some inside corners involved. The teacher had us clip the corners and pull it almost straight. It made it very easy to put the binding on.

MarLeClair 06-09-2017 04:48 PM

I vote for bias binding. Look on utube for "continuous bias binding". Doesn't take much fabric and I think it lays nicely.