Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bias cut binding as compared to straight cut binding - for straight edges (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bias-cut-binding-compared-straight-cut-binding-straight-edges-t305773.html)

bearisgray 07-14-2019 05:27 PM

Bias cut binding as compared to straight cut binding - for straight edges

Which do you prefer and why?

I use bias cut - because I think it wears better. I have two quilts on my couches that the outer layer of the binding is in shreds but the inside layer is still "good".

I can also get it to lay very smoothly with the little bit of stretch it has.

As to whether bias binding uses more fabric - if I have it, I will use it because I do like the way bias cut looks and handles.

Iceblossom 07-14-2019 05:38 PM

I use French double fold bias cut most of the time. I will do straight grain, but I prefer working with the bias. I do feel it wears better.

I particularly like it with stripes, love having bias cut striped fabric as binding.

Yes, I usually make too much and have some leftover. It happens. I use those leftovers on other projects and/or in different ways. But mostly I make too much because I am usually starting with either 1.5 yards of fabric which I know is enough for a queen sized top plus leftovers, or a yard which will work for a twin size. I could start with a more correct square for my fabric but I just don't want to worry my little head too much.

If I do use length or width of fabric, I still put it on continuously mitering the corners and using mitered joints and not butt joints.

Shelbie 07-14-2019 06:04 PM

I make continuous bias binding for all my quilts and frequently use stripes. I use the Dread Pirate’s method which uses the entire WOF and not a square so fabric is not wasted. 28.5” of fabric will make over 400” of binding which is enough for a King sized quilt.

feline fanatic 07-14-2019 06:41 PM

I too prefer a bias binding for all the reasons stated wear, how nicely it behaves when applying and the fun effects you can get with plaids, stripes and other directional small prints. If I have enough fabric left for a bias, I will do bias.

betthequilter 07-15-2019 04:12 AM

I use bias binding. I think it is easier to apply plus it wears better. I had never heard of the Dread Pirate's method. Thanks, Shelbie .... I'll have to check that out.

I, too, like to use a stripe fabric. Looks great, especially on a child's quilt.

patricej 07-15-2019 04:21 AM

i'm a bias fan.

i start with a square to make continuous binding.
(i've tried starting with rectangles but find it more of a hassle than it's worth.)

the "tubey method" for making bias is a "must" for me if i'm using a solid fabric.
(otherwise i get the seams mixed up, and end up having to fix the joins at which the allowance is on the wrong side.)

if i have to do straight-cut binding, i only use strips cut WOF.
they don't have as much "give" as bias, but there's enough to make that final join a lot easier to get right.

Bobbielinks 07-15-2019 04:41 AM

I also always use bias binding for my quilts. It is so much easier for me to get the binding to lay nicely around my quilt.

juliasb 07-15-2019 05:02 AM

I prefer bias cut binding and have been cutting my own for years. There are exceptions though. If the binding is a solid I don't have a problem with the bias but if I am using a printed fabric from within my quilt I will use straight pieces only because of the waste I find cutting the bias strips. I don't like stitching together smaller pieces or the way the smaller pieces look as a binding. I find that I have such a large piece cut on the bias that to use the left over pieces I just have a lot of waste to cut back onto the grain. I don't mind this so much on the less expensive solids I use.

peaceandjoy 07-15-2019 06:31 AM

For me, it depends on the fabric.

Both "regular" binding or cut on the bias have a double layer. But if it's a stripe that is not already diagonally printed, or a gingham, I do bias so that I get the pattern i want on the edge.

I rarely need to worry about whether or not I have enough fabric to use a bit extra, lol.

Onebyone 07-15-2019 06:46 AM

The quilts that I made some years ago for the kids with bias binding have already shown wear on the edge of the binding. The quilts that had straight bindings have not. I use straight bindings now for most of my quilts.