Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bias Tape Makers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bias-tape-makers-t76270.html)

GrannieAnnie 11-16-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Silly question time...what is the difference between bias tape and binding? Is bias tape used for binding?

Bias is cut on the bias and curves easily.
Regular binding is cut on the straight grain and doesn't curve easily.

GrannieAnnie 11-16-2010 02:04 PM

What would be the best one to use? I know there are several different brands of them and wouldn't know which one to go for. [/quote]

If you are talking about the little things that you pull bias cut fabric thru and it curls the sides in and then you iron----------don't worry about brand. Just buy metal, in the size you want. Been a while but I'd say you could buy a couple for under $5.

GrannieAnnie 11-16-2010 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val
You need to put the lengths through separately and then join them together to obtain the correct length - that way they work well.

I join pieces before using the bias tool. Then I use what I need and snip the end.

Somerset Val 11-16-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
I've been looking into buying one of those bias tape makers. Making bias tape takes me forever to make because I can't just take the strip and iron it...I have to pin the edges together before ironing or sewing because if I don't I end up shifting the edges somehow (I envy quilters who can just whip something through their sewing machine and not pin the pieces together).

Anyways, I want to get a bias tape maker to maybe make the process a little easier and faster, but worry that I'll be buying a notion that is a waste of money. Would you recommend a bias tape maker to a quilter (who probably puts in as much time into the binding as the blocks in the quilt)? If so, what one would you recommend?

Here's a simple choice---------look at the price of bias tape in the store then look at the price for a bias tape maker.

I love mine. Almost went into DT's when I misplaced it once. Can't tell you the brand I have, but it's one of the standard sewing brands available anywhere.

There's no comparison between bought bias binding - which is of an inferior quality - to that which you make yourself!

GrannieAnnie 11-16-2010 02:14 PM

I love using the Clover bias tape maker for 1/4" bias tape. I use a little sizing spray or starch on the bias strip, put it through the little folding mechanism and press when it comes out. Voila! I've used it for applique vines and stained glass quilts. My daughters each made a stained glass quilt, and used purchased iron-on bias tape also by Clover. Stitch it on using a double needle,and it's beautiful![/quote]

Wow!

iapam 11-16-2010 03:06 PM

I bought a package with 5 different sizes at a quilt show this summer. I've already used three of them. I think they are great for stems for applique. Buy one , maybe the 1/4 or half inch and try it out. I bet you'll like it. Good luck.

Sewze 11-16-2010 08:43 PM

I only have the metal ones and find them very easy to use. That being said, I have given thought to the electric bias tape maker, but the cost always seems to hold me back.

madamekelly 11-16-2010 09:12 PM

I just bought my first one last month in 1/2 inch size, and now I must have one in 3/8 size! I never realized how much I would enjoy applique with them. I also buy the strips of 'Heat and Bond' to use for placement. I press once to make the bias tape, then I press again to attach the heat and bond. When I use it, I just press it in place, around curves or whatever, then stitch. Easy cheesy!

jemcnutt 11-17-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Minda
I'm not sure if these are what you are asking about but, if they are, I have a friend who uses them and loves them. You can also get them in wider sizes.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/26...as_Tape_Makers

I use these as well!