Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big Cone or Normal Spool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-cone-normal-spool-t289192.html)

bearisgray 06-24-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 7850685)
The only time I buy a spool is if I need a special color otherwise I use Connecting Threads cones in white, beige, black, gray, and surprisingly, red.

Red? That surprises me.

Ariannaquilts 06-24-2017 06:09 AM

You could always buy a try me sized cone and then if you and your machine are happy then purchase a larger cone. I did that with my Omni thread from Superior Thread, only cost 4.95.

Jennifer23 06-24-2017 06:20 AM

I guess I'm just weird, but I don't mind running out of thread. Running out of bobbin thread is much more annoying, and happens much more often. I use Aurifil large spools, so I empty a dozen bobbins before the top thread runs out. I have looked at cones, and decided against them because if I get a bad one, it's a huge waste.

I also move my machine on and off my table a lot, so having a separate cone holder would be a pain. I guess it really depends on your personal setup; for me right now, I think they would create more problems than they would solve.

Jeanne S 06-24-2017 09:14 AM

I love the Gutermann cones that are a bit over 3,200 yards each. They last forever and my machine loves Gutermann thread.

luvstoquilt301 06-24-2017 03:06 PM

I use Connecting threads big cones all the time. I have a beige color. I do have a fw small spools of darker colors and to use in my travel machine.

tessagin 06-24-2017 03:12 PM

I use small and larger spools and the cones. I won a larger cone/spoolholder and love it. One thing I have noticed is the way my thread unwinds. Can't remember the guys name but he showed the difference why some threads break. It boils down to the thread unwinding. Most of my problems have been user issues.

Painiacs 06-24-2017 06:45 PM

Only use cones have old singer so doesn't matter

DebJ 06-24-2017 09:45 PM

I use spools & cone both. Basic colors for the cones mostly. Have a few in sets for the serger too that are like red, blue, yellow, green etc. Cones are use primarily on the LA. Although I think I may start using when piecing too.

jmoore 06-25-2017 02:35 AM

I buy cones in neutrals for piecing and it doesn't seem my machines are too picky with CT or Aurifil. I look for sales and also buy at quilt shows.

illinois 06-25-2017 03:39 AM

Like others, I use cones for the basic colors. The only time I'm using smaller spools is when I really "need" to match the fabric I'm working on. I tried the coffee cup method but it was one more thing to be in the way. So--I had saved an empty spool from invisibile thread. It fits perfectly inside the cone. I put the flat piece from my Janome spool thing on the spindle, add the empty spool and then the cone. Looks clunky; works fine. Thank you to the maker of this machine, it is not picky as to what I can use.