Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   BIG cutting matts. Are they useful? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-cutting-matts-they-useful-t111398.html)

camalhair 03-28-2011 03:15 PM

I have a large mat and I had my husband drill 2 holes in the very top and a couple of screws in the wall and I hang mine

emerald46 03-29-2011 02:38 AM

I have several different sizes but I love the big one. I use it all the time on my kitchen island..perfect height for cutting. When not in use it stays on my formal dining room table under tablecloth.

TacoMama 03-29-2011 02:43 AM

I bought one, but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the tips!

SugarD14523 03-29-2011 02:51 AM

I've had one from Joann's that I've had for years. It's on a table from Joann's too. It pretty much stays up all the time. I love the big mats and only pull out the small one for really small projects.

plainpat 03-29-2011 02:52 AM

It might be useful for cutting certain size strips/blocks.Mine was a gift & has almost never been used.Just find myself reaching for the normal size one I've always used.Maybe that's just me tho.I tend to stick with tried & true.

Originally Posted by taj334
I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?

grann of 6 03-29-2011 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by taj334
I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?

I love them. I have 2. I have a cutting table (right now piled high with junk) made to fit the mat and another one on my 60x80 ironing table. When I lay out a quilt to sandwich I lay the mat under it to pin the layers together. That way I don't pin into the ironing surface. They don't smell, like the self-healing ones do when you first get them, and I like the white color.

meanmom 03-29-2011 02:56 AM

I have a large cutting mat from JoAnns. Love it. I keep it out on my cutting table all the time. I have only had it for about a year but so far it is fine. I would say if you have a place to keep it out all the time or a good place to store it keep it. I have a 4x4 cutting table and mine covers most of it

Somerset Val 03-29-2011 03:01 AM

I wouldn't be without mine!

uniquelynancy 03-29-2011 03:11 AM

I use the 60 by 36 on my table and my DH is planning on building me a larger table so I can get a bigger one. I can't stand the little mats. I always run off the edge!

constantly55 03-29-2011 03:20 AM

I love my big mat from sew-fit. I make a lot of clothes, so it really helps when cutting out pants especially.
It also is cool to layout quilt on.