Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big Oops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-oops-t186514.html)

Dolphyngyrl 04-18-2012 06:03 PM

I would give it, non-quilter's almost never see your mistakes, she'll love it either way

luvstoquilt 04-18-2012 08:07 PM

My mother always turned one piece the wrong way on purpose..she said that was how they could tell it was "home made". She swore she did it on purpose. I treasure the ones I have that she made and so will you DSIL. Want to bet?

hopetoquilt 04-18-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by cmrenno (Post 5152197)
Carol Doak, a very famous quilter, puts a mistake in her quilts on purpose. I usually do too, but not on purpose.

Colleen

I was just going to say this. If anyone notices, you just took creative license...

annesthreads 04-18-2012 10:33 PM

In my early days of quilting I once made some place mats and only when I'd quilted them did I notice the wrongly placed pieces in no less than 3 of the 4. I was utterly devastated and furious with myself - but in all the years I've used them, no-one else has ever noticed the mistakes, and even when I've admitted to them, people struggle to spot them.

jemma 04-19-2012 03:13 AM

carry on and enjoy it as it is --made with loveing thoughts--if the oops are noticed-- point out many asians
believe any thing that is perfect attracts bad luck and you certainly did not want to pass on any bad luck

carrieg 04-19-2012 03:32 AM

It's always upsetting when you find a mistake in a quilt you made. Step away for it for a while & get your emotions out of the way. If it is for a wall hanging, you may want to take the time to rip out the quilting stitches, undo the error and fix it. But a lot of non-quilters don't recognize block layouts,so she might not realize there is an error. If you leave it in, it will bug you everytime you see it. If it is to snuggle with, it won't be noticed.

I have also discovered that taking a photo of quilts makes the mistakes jump out at me so I can fix them sooner.

Sew N Tune 04-19-2012 06:23 AM

I tell people the oopies, are special pockets of love, all gathered in one place. I'm sure she'll just love it, and don't point the mistake out.

burchquilts 04-19-2012 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by cmrenno (Post 5152197)
Carol Doak, a very famous quilter, puts a mistake in her quilts on purpose. I usually do too, but not on purpose.

Colleen

My 1st quilting teacher insisted we all have a "God's eye" (mistake, happy accident, whatever) in all our quilts. Some people had to work to do it... mine came naturally & still do! I have an Xmas quilt that I pieced & hand-quilted years ago & I just noticed a couple of years ago that one of the blocks is turned completely all sideways. Oops...

Tell people you put that HST that way just to see if they'd notice... LOL!

mdall 04-20-2012 03:23 AM

I think the oops give them character and make them one of a kind. Im like cmrenno, I put them in just not on purpose. Just let it go. If you got that far before noticing it not a biggy.

anita211 04-20-2012 04:02 AM

I made a BOM and worked like crazy to get the darn thing sewn.When the top was finished, 2 blocks were turned. I sat down and proceeded to tear out the blocks and turn them. It took me forever. First, the quilt is something like 108 x 108... the blocks were each 12". It took ages to take out, turn them into the proper position, and then get them sewn back into the quilt top. I was satisfied with doing it (there was enough in the top to make in 'unperfect') but I wouldn't do it again. People that saw it before it was done said they didn't see any mistake. Granted these where not people that quilted, but I knew it was there and it would bug me forever. So... fix it if you can. Stitch by hand if you tear it out. Or applique something over it, if that is possible. But, I would leave it, if I had to do it over. It is lots of work.

Anita in Northfield, MN