Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big purple foot for FMQ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-purple-foot-fmq-t38682.html)

Kryssa 03-05-2010 10:31 AM

Hello All,

I am a beginner quilter and am considering some very basic FMQ on the border of my first quilt. I thought I'd meander around the dog print because it would make me a little sad to just sew over the puppies.

During my first quilting class, our teacher took us on a tour of the shop and said she likes this big purple foot. I am wondering if any of you have used it and do you think it is better than a normal darning foot? I bought a Janome and it didn't come with a darning foot so I will have to buy a new foot either way and want to get something easy to use for a beginner.

Thanks!!!

nativetexan 03-05-2010 10:33 AM

well i gave mine away. it wouldn't stay on very well. but the quilter i gave it to did fine with it.
i have a darning foot that came with my machine. has a spring on it and it works fine. good luck.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-05-2010 10:41 AM

I have never seen that one.

krabadan 03-05-2010 11:17 AM

I think it may have been the Big Foot. I had one but it broke and use my darning foot which actually works much better.

amma 03-05-2010 11:31 AM

I like a foot that is spring loaded, and has a clear open toed foot. (open toed means that there is a gap in the front side of it :wink:) This way I can see my stitches better, just my opinion :D:D:D

MamaBear61 03-05-2010 11:32 AM

I have a big foot that I use on my Pfaff and it works just fine, but I am a very novice FMQ and usually just use a meander pattern rather than anything that follows a more exact pattern

littlehud 03-05-2010 07:12 PM

I've never seen one. Sounds interesting. I just use my darning foot.

sewcrafty 03-06-2010 06:39 AM

I like it. I like the clear bottom so I can see where I'm going!! :roll: At this age you need all the help you can get with your eyes!! :lol:

k3n 03-06-2010 06:48 AM

I have that foot for my old machine and got on fine with it. Which Janome do you have? I just got one and bought a foot for it, a metal one without the arm going over the needle screw. You adjust it with a little wheel so it just skims the surface. I prefer it to the foot that came with the machine bacause it doesn't bounce and I feel like I have more control. It is closed though but a very small ring. It's a slight pain to pull the threads up and out of the hole once you've started off (I take amma's point about the open ones!) but that aside, I think it works great.

BellaBoo 03-06-2010 07:40 AM

I had one but I think I gave it to someone. It's all plastic and didn't work that great for my machine. I found some old attachments at a yard sale and the darning foot fit my machine. Most Brother/Singer/Janome/Kenmore darning foot fits each other. All the ones I have are either short or long shank. Singer slant is the only weird one I have.