Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   big spools of thread ...dumb question? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-spools-thread-dumb-question-t126936.html)

J Carol 06-01-2011 04:35 AM

They have the Dritz thread holder at JoAnns and I bought mine with a 50% off coupon.

colwoods 06-01-2011 04:45 AM

In a pinch, I have even used a drinking straw. It fits over the spool holder and extends out enough for a cone. You can cut the straw to fit your large spool. I have used it many times on my FW and Viking with absolutely no trouble at all.

purplefiend 06-01-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zephyr

Originally Posted by erstan947
Yes, I made a cone holder out of a block of wood and a dowel rod. You can also buy these. The bought ones are fancy and pretty, mine is plain and simple.:)

My husband made one for me and there is a picture of it somewhere here on the board. I have a Husquavarna also and must leave the top up to accomodate the thread coming across but I love it. I may have to do bobbins but rarely have to rethread my machine.

I close the top on my HV Sapphire 875, I thread it through the space between the lid and the machine.

gollytwo 06-01-2011 04:51 AM

I put my cones in an empty coffee can. Have a large safety pin taped to the rear of my machine (behind where a spool would go) and I feed the thread thru the pin's hole before doing the machine threading.
I had no luck at all with various stands and I had 3 different ones.

Ripped on Scotch 06-01-2011 05:00 AM

I have the plastic thread holder that is most common but I was thinking about putting it in my travel bag and getting one of the metal flower cone holders.

Greenheron 06-01-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I put my cones in an empty coffee can. Have a large safety pin taped to the rear of my machine (behind where a spool would go) and I feed the thread thru the pin's hole before doing the machine threading.
I had no luck at all with various stands and I had 3 different ones.

Sounds like 'the' solution. I have a rainbow stash of thread cones, 30 years old, from our defunct sewing factory. Stands have been partially successful.

dreamgirl 06-01-2011 05:11 AM

I just stick a regular spool inside the cone and it works perfectly. :lol:

rn2wendt 06-01-2011 05:13 AM

i use them all the time, i just set the cone down in back of my machine so that it spins off the top and thread as usual. have no problem. good value and love it

lgilkey 06-01-2011 05:13 AM

I found that if I first thread the thread thru the eye that is on my bobbin winder then thread as normal. The only draw back is if you have to wind a bobbin you have to unthread your machine and then rethread it.

gingersnaps 06-01-2011 05:14 AM

yes you can either buy a large spool holder that sits behind your machine and you thread it just like you would with reg. thread on your machine. I teach a class here and so my husband made several out of 2x4 piece and a small dowel to hole the thread and a wire hanger cut off with a round section on top to run the thread through, a lot cheaper. the 2x4 just makes it sturdy you could use a thinner piece