Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big stitch quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-stitch-quilting-t304671.html)

marjean36 05-13-2019 12:45 PM

A lady in my sewing group does big stitch with perle cotton thread in a color to compliment the quilts. She does many charity donation quilts and they are absolutely beautiful. She does so many that I ask her if she quilts and drives at the same time.(as opposed to texting). She always has one in her hands to work on. However, I will not be trying it with these arthritic hands. I do think it is very pretty.

ccthomas 05-13-2019 05:16 PM

I saw one blogger does big stitch binding.

KerryK 05-13-2019 06:52 PM

I haven't done any big stitch quilts yet, but I definitely plan to! I love the look of it! I think I'll probably just go with some placemats first, to see if I enjoy the process. I hope I do, 'cause it surely is pretty!

Flyboy Jim 05-13-2019 07:32 PM

My wife did a big stitch quilt and it came out great! She's going to use it on her latest quilt. I think it works great on a large piece block in a geometric design.

seazteddy 05-13-2019 11:41 PM

I thought it looked more "primitive" than "traditional" quilting but it might be something I give a try cause I can't make small stitches all the same size. Thanks for your info.

NJ Quilter 05-14-2019 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8252317)
I did a big stitch quilt last year and it was fun to do. It went really fast. I used variegated thread, I believe it was perle cotton.
The look is different but I like it. The only problem for me is that I'm used to hand quilting and I had to keep remembering not to make the stitches too small.
Thimblebug, yours is lovely!

I agree with SusieQOH...being a hand quilter doing 'big stitch' was quick; easy; fun but definitely had a hard time not making my stitches tiny, lol. That said, even with the tiny stitches by using the pearle cotton thread there was still more definition in the quilting. I like how it turned out on the quilt I did this style quilting.

jumpin' judy 05-14-2019 08:46 AM

Personally I prefer irregular quilting since that is what I usually end up with!

tuckyquilter 05-14-2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by seazteddy (Post 8252122)
Anyone done this big stitch quilting? It looks a bit strange to me.

It reminds me of Japanese Sashiko stitching.

Chili Lady 05-14-2019 08:09 PM

I took a class on big stitching. I enjoyed it, I liked how it looked on the project I worked on, but never did it again. I think of doing it often, but always go back to the regular hand quilting.

Onebyone 05-15-2019 08:22 AM

I did a queen size quilt with big stitch. I used Sew Sassy a size 12 thread, it is like two strands of embroidery floss. I used Tiger Tape to keep the stitches the same length and evenly spaced. I used a contrasting color thread from the quilt color. I won 2nd place in handquilting category at a local show to the dismay of many who had tiny handstitches. Some of the handquilters felt like it wasn't real 'handquilting' and got their noses out of joint about it. I still got the ribbon though. LOL