Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ?? on Big Stitch / Utility Stitch hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-stitch-utility-stitch-hand-quilting-t283187.html)

Onebyone 10-22-2016 02:31 PM

There needs to be space between stitches to keep them flexible. Hand quilting like normal even with a big needle and bigger thread will result in rigid stitches. I do a running stitch using size 12 thread. I love Superior Sew Sassy thread for big stitch by hand or machine.

SherylM 10-22-2016 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]560787[/ATTACH] This is the front of the top and back of the border of the quilt that I'm working on. I like to do Sashiko so I used that to practice getting even stitches and to develop a bit of "muscle memory" before I started working on this.

I'm using #10 variegated crochet cotton and either a long Tulip Sashiko needle or a Dritz #7 quilt basting needle (a darner, really.)

My stitches aren't perfect, but for the most part, they're pretty even and I'm happy with them. Even though I don't have any experience with regular tiny hand quilting, I do think it would be pretty difficult to make smaller stitches with the size needle and thread that I use.

But then, what do I know?? :D

NJ Quilter 10-22-2016 04:24 PM

Thanks all for the hint that the stitches could be larger simply using the larger needle/thread. Obviously, not something that had even occured to me. I did pick up a multi-pack of 'big stitch' needles at my LQS the other day but still have to pick up thread. What I have seen recommended most is #8 perle cotton - which is what was recommended by my LQS. They did not have any in their shop and until this AM I had not decided what colors I wanted to use. I'll be out and about over the next few days to pick up the thread and hopefully the tiger tape in case the larger needle/thread doesn't get me to where I want to be. Kind of looking forward to the challenge.

yngldy 10-22-2016 05:02 PM

Not trying to put a damper on things, but just read on another thread that bigger stitches are not good for a baby quilt as tiny toes can get caught in the stitches and do bad things. Might be wise to do a little research in that area before you put in all that work. Sorry.

NJ Quilter 10-23-2016 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 7683221)
Not trying to put a damper on things, but just read on another thread that bigger stitches are not good for a baby quilt as tiny toes can get caught in the stitches and do bad things. Might be wise to do a little research in that area before you put in all that work. Sorry.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I realize baby fingers and toes are very tiny but not sure that the size of these stitches are going to be an issue. Most of what I have seen is that the stitches are 3-4/inch making them roughly 1/4" thread top or bottom. The baby in this particular case is now several months old because I'm waaay behind on getting this done! Even though I plead with new parents to let these quilts be used, most end up using them as room/crib decorations. I'll suggest to mom & dad make sure his little toes/fingers are large enough not to get caught in this one before he (hopefully) starts dragging it around.

petpainter 10-23-2016 04:55 AM

I have heard of Tiger tape before, but didn't know what it was! Thanks for all the info- I only piece by hand, but I see it could be handy for certain machine quilting styles.

carolynjo 10-23-2016 06:27 AM

I had forgotten about Tiger Tape. I'd use that and heavier thread as others have suggested.

carolynjo 10-24-2016 11:07 AM

I think I'd use Tiger Tape to help keep my stitches even.

Genden 10-24-2016 12:43 PM

Tiger Tape for big stitch quilting recommends #5 between needles and #8 perle cotton. I plan to use #12 perle cotton. Will the Tiger Tape still work? Does following this Tiger Tape create 1/4" stitches?

My time 10-26-2016 01:35 PM

I don't think you stitches will be such that a babies fingers will snuggled. I have done several quilts using large stitches. My only suggestion is run the thread lightly through beeswax.