Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Big Surprise--I found a box of quilt tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/big-surprise-i-found-box-quilt-tops-t191402.html)

moreland 06-10-2012 06:17 PM

Big Surprise--I found a box of quilt tops

I "bragged" last week that I was all caught up on my UFO's and was going to start a new quilt this week. What a joke on me that turned out to be. I was rummaging around and wondered what was in "that box" and I found probably 15 tops that need to be backed and quilted--mostly crib size--all were done while I was in Indiana, mostly using up a bunch of precut blocks I had taken with me. So guess it will be another week (at least) before I get to work on a new quilt. Anyway it is back to putting on fleece backing and getting them quilted. I don't mind doing it, but it isn't a lot of fun! Tomorrow is guild meeting followed by an afternoon workshop, so won't get much done on them until Tuesday.

Dina 06-10-2012 06:31 PM

Well, I think you could start a new quilt top and THEN attach the box of tops. Might feel really good?

Dina

dunster 06-10-2012 06:33 PM

I can't even imagine what that would be like. 15 tops - wow! You are very productive. All my UFO's are still in my head (except the one I'm working on, which is spread out in an unfinished state on the floor). I would love to have some just waiting for the longarm.

justflyingin 06-10-2012 11:14 PM

It's amazing that you could finish them all this week! Wow. Do you have plans for the tops? Do you donate or do you save them for gifts?

burchquilts 06-11-2012 12:22 AM

What a great thing to find! Christmas in June at your house!

Quiltngolfer 06-11-2012 06:11 AM

Now I don't feel so bad about my UFOs. Lol. You are a magician if you can get them all done that fast. Good for you!

moreland 06-11-2012 01:36 PM

Let me clarify--most of these are small --40x 60 range. I use fleece on the backs and that doesn't take a great deal of quilting. I generally do SID-- nothing fancy. I bind them by bringing the backing to the front of the quilt. So although that sounds like a lot, it isn't as overwhelming as it sounds.
I use them for a guild project; give them to family and friends; keep a few for here at home. All my family will get quilts this year for Christmas (23-24 people) so I can start over on bigger quilts for a future Christmas.

Scakes 06-12-2012 03:10 AM

LOL. Hope you get them finished quickly and get your new project started.

pjnesler 06-12-2012 03:30 AM

Wow - It's still lots to do, but what a wonderful feeling it will be to have them done, please share some pics!

meanmom 06-12-2012 03:51 AM

I have been collecting fabric for a bargello for almost a year. I needed 24 fabrics. I have all of them. I can't wait to start. It has been way at the top of my bucket list for a long time. I told myself I am not allowed to start until I finish a t-shirt quilt a friend is paying me to make. (I don't like making them) I will layer it to quilt today. I am just going to do an all over loose meandering pattern and do something fancy in the borders. Maybe a guitar. It is rock and roll t shirts. And I am going to make 4 of my Dear Jane blocks. Then I can start. I have way too many other UFO's too and several UFO's that aren't started yet that I need for gifts.