Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding color fail!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-color-fail-t247421.html)

citruscountyquilter 05-28-2014 03:10 AM

I didn't see anything wrong with the darker binding but now that I've seen it done with the green binding I like that one so much better. I always audition my bindings. I usually will put the quilted item (quilt, potholder etc) on the back of a chair our couch where I can look at it from a distance and put it on whatever fabrics I'm thinking of with a narrow strip of the proposed binding showing. I then leave it there for a while so I can look at it multiple times and see what I want to live with. So many times the fabric that I thought I wanted for the binding ends up not to be the one I use.

paoberle 05-28-2014 03:29 AM

I like the black, but I know the feeling when it just isn't what you want. If it feels wrong to you, then change it.

institches33 05-28-2014 04:45 AM

Why? The color is fine.

wildyard 05-28-2014 10:57 AM

Yes, you definitely did not make a swastika! You made a windmill! And windmills are good. Do not give evil the power to spoil your pleasure in creating something beautiful. As cybrarian said, that symbol has existed far before it was adapted to represent one political force and will exist far after that force is gone. And your windmill does not have the extra leg the swastika has, as cybrarian also mentioned.
So love your potholder, it's great!

JanieH 05-28-2014 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6732327)
Me, too. I wouldn't re-bind partly because binding pot holders is not as easy as it seems, and partly because, well, just because. It's a pot holder, after all, and pot holders in my home won't survive to be heirlooms!

When machine binding, I often use different color threads in the bobbin and the needle. Sometimes I use a thread that matches the binding on the top of the quilt and a different color in the bobbin that blends easily with the back of the quilt. That way I don't worry too much about perfect binding. That has made my bindings look 90 % better. But they're never perfect. Ever.

I love your idea of the different color threads. Thanks!

And I think the pot holder looks just fine - it is not a Swastika!

DonnaPBradshaw 05-28-2014 12:35 PM

The important thing is if you like it better! Either way would've worked for me!

Cedar 05-28-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6733815)
NOTHING that is a quilt and is finished is called a failure. You might have made an error in the placement of your colors but we have ALL learned by our mistake. The other item I have notice is that usually the stitch length of machine quilting is about a 2.5 or 3. Your stitching appears to be a little small. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! I've been wondering what was proper and I figured smaller was better, but I have it set at 2. I'll bump that up.

MargeD 05-28-2014 01:32 PM

Well, I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that has an OOPS now and then, but I like what you've done. As Bob Ross, the painter would so, no mistakes, just happy accidents, and you may have created a new block.

farmquilter 05-28-2014 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar (Post 6732294)
Ok thanks for not seeing the giant swastika I just made too!

I feel a little less dumb. The green fading into the background will fix the problem.

I see a pinwheel in the center and the current binding is perfect, it is not like you brought in a totally new fabric--it fits.

sewbizgirl 05-28-2014 05:17 PM

It's not a swastika... more like a pinwheel. There really isn't any other way you can arrange 4 rail fence blocks. I wouldn't worry about it!