Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding corners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-corners-t204408.html)

MTS 10-27-2012 05:17 PM

You can get the pagodas from any of the above mentioned reasons.
(I think it's because either your corner isn't perfectly square and/or you're not stopping and starting in the right position from the edge.)

You might want to take a look at Sharon Schamber's video on binding.
Even if you don't follow her method exactly, it's full of great tips for every single step of the binding process - at least you'll be able to pinpoint where you can improve your technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2hWQ5-ZccE

Tartan 10-27-2012 06:17 PM

I think it is Heather over on www.ankastreasures that refers to those as "bird's beak" corners. She says it is indeed from too much fabric in the corners. Make sure you stop sewing the width of the binding from your corner and when you fold it up and then down to go down the next side, make sure that the new fold is not above the sandwich edge. She has some good tutorials on binding at her site that might help.

Tartan 10-27-2012 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5617134)
No suggestions but a question. Did you post the picture from your iPad? I haven't had any luck doing it. The area to select the picture from your computer was greyed out. Any suggestions?

Patty, have you followed Sandygirl's instructions for posting from the Ipad. I followed her instructions and can now post photos that are on my Ipad camera roll onto QB.

auntpiggylpn 10-27-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5617313)
I think it is Heather over on www.ankastreasures that refers to those as "bird's beak" corners. She says it is indeed from too much fabric in the corners. Make sure you stop sewing the width of the binding from your corner and when you fold it up and then down to go down the next side, make sure that the new fold is not above the sandwich edge. She has some good tutorials on binding at her site that might help.

Thanks Tartan! I thought this was her problem but I couldn't figure out how to word it!!

ThreadHead 10-27-2012 08:51 PM

Mark your 1/4 inch dot and sew on the back, fold to the front and Make sure you still have that 1/4 inch on both sides of the corner when sewing down. Mark your dot! Check your sides of the quilt on the corner
if one side is a Stitch line thicker or thiner than the other side, you will get a wonky corner
Syl

Blackberry 10-28-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 5617183)
Silver Needle has done a much better job of describing the technique that makes excellent corners.

I use a 3/8" seam allowance when attaching the binding. When I get about 4" from the corner, I measure up 3/8" from the end and mark it with a pin perpendicular to the end. I slowly approach the pin and stop right when I get there and then backstitch. It works every time for me.

Dayle

How wide is your binding strip if you use a 3/8" seam allowance

Daylesewblessed 10-28-2012 05:40 AM

Blackberry,

My binding is 2.75" before folding in half. Depending on the thickness of the binding, sometimes the seam allowance has to be adjusted slightly. I like the extra "wiggle" room this size binding gives me over the standard 2.5" cut.

Dayle

Donna H-M 10-29-2012 02:58 AM

I've been having this same problem. I always make a half inch finished binding. I cut fabric 3". So I added a 1/4" and cut 3 1/4" strips, now my corners come out much better.

Holice 10-29-2012 05:39 AM

It appears that your seam is not consistent at the ends and start. One appears to be narrower than the other. Controlling these points is the best way to assure a good mitre

LindaR 10-29-2012 05:39 AM

Another possibility is that when you make the fold in the binding at the corner, you may not be making a 45 degree angle with the fabric that folds under the stitching. A little wonky there can make a mess. Looking at your picture, I think that fold technique might be your problem.

I think this is the problem...are you stitching to 1/4th inch, lifting the pressure foot, turning, folding a miter and then resume stitching down the next side? I don't see a miter at the corner at all....