Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding Corners: Will the world fall in... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-corners-will-world-fall-t215239.html)

Steady Stiching 03-03-2013 04:05 PM

I enjoy sewing the binding by hand...its my finishing touch. An excuse to put my feet up and watch a movie too LOL

jaspersu 03-03-2013 04:21 PM

I got that "miters should be stitched" comment from judges on a quilt in a show, and I don't know what it means! I attended a juried quilt show last weekend and stared hard at a few quilt corners and I couldn't see if they were stitched it not!

sewNso 03-04-2013 05:45 AM

your wedding quilt is lovely., beautiful. i never sew my mitered corners. and some of my quilts at the grandkids houses have been washed and dried weekly in the machine for 5 yrs. they never come apart.

mycatsmom 03-04-2013 06:31 AM

I think that you did a beautiful job. Can you put a tutorial on how you did this?

Southern Judy 03-04-2013 06:59 AM

I never sew the corners down, and they wash just fine.

sewbizgirl 03-04-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by topstitch (Post 5901956)
A friend entered a quilt in the Mid Atlantic quilt Show in Hampton Va. last week. ( it was a beautiful traditional civil war quilt) She was shot down for not stitching the little corner binding seams down, I didn't even know this was an option.

Just goes to show, you never know what kind of anal judge you may run up against. But my main concern was not with judging and shows, it was with whether the corners could come open and become a problem after many washings. It doesn't seem that it will... so I'm happy.

Thanks for all the input and ideas...!

sewbizgirl 03-04-2013 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mycatsmom (Post 5903177)
I think that you did a beautiful job. Can you put a tutorial on how you did this?

This will have to suffice for a tutorial, for now... I posted this on another thread on binding:

The way I machine stitch a binding is to sew the doubled binding on the front side with a 1/4" seam. (I cut my bindings 2.5", btw...) Then I start near a corner and turn the corner first, to get it nice. I use a lot of pins, and pin the binding from the front, as that is the side I will be stitching from. I work out from the corners and turn and pin the binding every 6" or so. I look on the back and get the binding just past the first stitching line, hold it there, and then pin it from the front. My aim will be to catch just the least bit of the binding on the back-- not miss it, nor catch too much and have a "flap" sticking out. After pinning all the way around, making sure to pin the edge of the binding just over the first stitching line, I start stitching in the ditch from the front. I actually pull the front binding fabric back from the seam, so it will later relax back over the stitching and hide it. I use my eye judgement on how wide the binding should look from the front, plus feeling where the edge is with my fingers, as well as sometimes peeking to see where that edge is on the back. This is finesse... you get the feel for it and it gets better the more you do it. I usually have to go and pick a few spots where I missed the edge, or caught too much... no big deal. I don't think I've ever done one yet that I didn't have to pick a few spots and try again. Keep practicing. Good luck!

Oh, forgot to mention that I pin in the ditch from the front... and then look on back to see where that came out and adjust as needed. The pinning takes longer than the actual sewing but it's an important step you can't skip.

judykay 03-04-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mycatsmom (Post 5903177)

Great idea, I would love to see how to machine stitch both sides of the binding, my least favorite part of quilting.

QandE2010 03-04-2013 03:48 PM

I do sew mine shut, because I am a fanatic, however, yours looks fine. I believe it is a personal preference unless you want to enter the quilt in competition. BTW, I love the bright colors in your D9P