Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding. A couple questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-couple-questions-t49554.html)

Joe 06-13-2010 07:04 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use bias binding to bind my quilt. This is my first time using a separate binding the only other quilt I made i folded over the back. Anyway I've got a book that recommends ironing it as I cut it. Sounds reasonable. Before I attach it should I iron the 1/4" seams and the middle fold before I try to attach it. I'm pretty lost anybody got a good link? Thanks

virtualbernie 06-13-2010 07:07 PM

I just iron the middle fold. You sew 1/4 inch to the quilt then fold it over.

maryv 06-13-2010 07:13 PM

I think that you iron the 1/4 inch on each side if you are going to sew it all at once front and back which would require an excess amount of pinning to be sure it is caught top and bottom. I am sure that a more experienced quilter will have the link that you are requesting.

Joe 06-13-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
I just iron the middle fold. You sew 1/4 inch to the quilt then fold it over.

That makes sense. I'm just so nervous. I've got so much work in it right now I'd hate to mess it up now.

FranW 06-13-2010 07:19 PM

If you go to the search feature at the top and type in "attaching a binding", quite a few links come up. Usually I cut the strips 2.5" wide, fold in half, sew to the front, and hand stitch to the back. Good Luck!

ktbb 06-13-2010 07:23 PM

sounds like you're talking about a single thickness binding ..if so, and want to stitch both sides at once...well, I wouldn't, because I'd never catch them both in one row of stitches. I'd press under one side by one quarter inch, then stitch the unpressed side to the front. Once it's sewn on I'd turn the fabric around the edge of the quilt and pin then stitch the back side in place. Many folks sew it by hand and many sew it by machine....your choice.

In my experience, a double thickness binding will last longer, in case you're putting it on a quilt that will get used a lot. The fabric strip is cut wider, pressed in half lengthwise, raw edges stitched onto front, folded around edge then stitched onto the back.

More details on either process if you need them from many folks on the board.

cwessel47 06-13-2010 07:54 PM

I iron 1/4" on one side, sew unpressed side to front and hand stitch on the back. ktbb and virtualbernie have got the right (my!) information on double fold binding. With you being a new quilter, I would never suggest you try the "sew front and back at once" idea. I only do that with very small projects and usually have to refer to Mr. Seam-ripper in that case. Funny how it's Mr. and not Mrs/Ms. Seam-ripper. Good luck in your projects.

Prism99 06-13-2010 07:57 PM

Is there a specific reason why you want to use bias binding? I use bias only if the design of the fabric requires it (for example, I want spiralling stripes on the binding) or if the edge to be bound is curved. Otherwise it is much easier to apply straight-grain binding. If this is your first experience with binding, I highly recommend working with straight-grain binding before tackling bias binding.

I always starch fabric heavily before cutting bias strips for binding. This stabilizes the fabric so you get more accurate cuts and so the binding doesn't stretch out of shape as you manipulate it. You can also starch before doing straight-grain binding, but it is not as necessary.

Most people use double-fold binding on quilts. The double layer of fabric helps the binding last longer. Usually the strips are cut 2.5 inches wide. You iron the raw edges together, right sides out, so you have a double layer of fabric.

Here is a link to a Youtube video that shows how to do a double-fold binding entirely by machine. If you want to finish with the more traditional hand sewing, the technique is very similar. Just look for other Youtube videos to help you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5...os=nZMmElf218o

Joe 06-14-2010 03:45 AM

I was going to use bias binding because I've heard its more durable. But if I use a double binding then a straight grain binding will probably be fine. I was always thinking about attaching one side and folding over. Did the lady in the video sew her binding together before attaching it so it was double thick or just folded it over and attached the raw edges first?

Holice 06-14-2010 06:36 AM

i still make a double fold when i do a bias binding.