Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding a flannel rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-flannel-rag-quilt-t37112.html)

Terryl 02-16-2010 05:41 PM

I'd love to post one if I can get my friend to show me how, not only am I a new quilter, I'm also an internet novice so I don't know things like cut, copy, paste, or attach

Dogwood Quilter 02-17-2010 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Instead of binding a rag quilt, you can add a border with the same layering as the quilt, stitch a half inch from the outside edge and clip to the stitching the same as the rest of the quilt. It will rag when washed the same as the rest of the quilt. Here is one I did for Christmas this year. They are fast and fun to do.

cotton top and flannel back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11365[/ATTACH]

Grandma Cindy 02-17-2010 07:38 PM

I do 2, 1/2 seams around the outside edge and rag it as well...

Grandma Cindy 02-17-2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jherd
Instead of binding a rag quilt, you can add a border with the same layering as the quilt, stitch a half inch from the outside edge and clip to the stitching the same as the rest of the quilt. It will rag when washed the same as the rest of the quilt. Here is one I did for Christmas this year. They are fast and fun to do.

What a clever idea of the border, thanks for the picture...

amma 02-17-2010 09:03 PM

You can also finish the edges with a chenille strip that will also rag. Cut the strips 1" wide and stack two of them together. Let 1/4" hang off the edge of the quilt and sew down the center of the strips. You can butt the strips together you do not have to sew them together like regular binding, the butted pieces won't show once they are washed. Clip both sides and once washed, you will have a nice edge. Using different colored fabrics for the binding strips give it a different look too :D:D:D

Chigger Holler Quilter 04-13-2010 04:58 PM

Pic looks great!

Oklahoma Suzie 04-13-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i used 2 1/2 inch flannel strips to bind mine. just like i do regular quilts.i'm not sure what you mean about binding it but not wanting it smooth. i would think you would just rag the edges of the blocks and leave it. not bind at all in other words.

I agree.

jsbaier 02-25-2019 10:04 AM

Rag quilt binding

Originally Posted by Terryl (Post 806785)
Can anyone tell me how to bind my flannel rag quilt? I'd like an "almost" traditional binding, only I'd like to be able to rag it like the rest of the quilt, not have it smooth. Thank you.

I just take my binding strips and from the back, align the Fold to the top and sew it on. Then bring the two raw edges around to the front. You can sew it down from the front or pin and. Stitch in the ditch from the back. Then you just clip like the rest of the quilt.

Hope that’s going to help . I love the way it looks.

ckcowl 02-25-2019 10:34 AM

When I make raggy quilts after construction I sew a double seam line all the way around the quilt about 3/4” in. Then I clip it , like all the blocks are clipped.