Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding help needed... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-help-needed-t262879.html)

DresiArnaz 03-20-2015 05:45 AM

Binding help needed...

I don't have a walking foot.

Any tips and tricks for this or am I out of luck?

Many thanks in advance. :-)

Homespun 03-20-2015 06:11 AM

I use my regular foot to attach the binding to the front. Never had any problems; then attach the back by hand.

Ariannaquilts 03-20-2015 06:11 AM

I have been known to just use the regular foot on my machine depending of course on the thickness of my batting, especially when like you I didn't have one. Unfortunately if your batting is thick it's just a lot easier to purchase a walking foot. I don't know what kind of machine you own but not all of them are super expensive. I got lucky when I bought mine it was on sale for $19.99 and the second one came with the machine.

DresiArnaz 03-20-2015 06:25 AM

My batting isn't very thick but when I did the border the back of it shifted a bit so on the back there is the occasional pin tuck to account for that.

I'm thinking before I try and put binding on I may have to work with the back of the border a bit...

Or am I making this harder by overthinking?

bearisgray 03-20-2015 06:26 AM

I baste the edgs of my binding together before attaching it to the quilt. I also sew the layers of my quilt together before I put the binding on it.

I DO NOT press the binding in half - because as it is folded around, that pressed fold line is a couple of threads off from where the actual fold line is.

This way I only need to keep track of teo things, instead of five.

It does take a bit more time "up front" - but it helps minimize slippage.

Jeanne S 03-20-2015 07:28 AM

Without a walking foot, I would hand baste the binding to the front of the quilt--on all four sides. This should keep the layers from shifting. Another option is to use LOTS of pins or clips to attach the binding, and sew it on really slowly. In the long run buying a walking foot for your machine should be your best quilting investment! You will be very glad you did!

DresiArnaz 03-20-2015 07:29 AM

Bearisgray!

Thanks!

I overlook the obvious all the time

DUH!

Of course I should sew the layers together at the edge!

DresiArnaz 03-20-2015 07:32 AM

I will use lots of pins and go slowly

I used to have a walking foot but it was not a genuine Singer walking foot but an off brand that was supposed to work with my 9022

I never could get it to line up right no matter how I tried.

I'd better order one soon.

DresiArnaz 03-20-2015 07:49 AM

Sorry about the abbreviation in first post

Didn't know that would be offensive

My bad.

(I suppose if I think it should be abbreviated I maybe shouldn't say it...)

meyert 03-20-2015 07:57 AM

I don't use my walking foot for the binding...go to YouTube and search for videos. I am sure there are plenty out there