Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding issue (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-issue-t163345.html)

bigsister63 10-26-2011 05:21 AM

Please post tips and how-to about how to do "good " binding on a quilt. There was a recent post from someone who entered quilts in a show and was critized on her bindings. I am sure many of us old and new quilters would benefit from help! Thanks!

PaperPrincess 10-26-2011 05:26 AM

Here's a search on all the tutorials on binding on this site. Everything from making the binding, attaching it, turning the corner and making sure you have enough 'stuffing'
http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....inding&u=&s=10

Scissor Queen 10-26-2011 06:01 AM

Even binding is subject to different opinions. I've been doing my binding the same way for several years now. I got an "excellent binding" from one quilt judge and a mark down on my binding from a judge this year. Just do your best.

QuiltnNan 10-26-2011 06:05 AM

one of the things that judges look for in bindings is that it is 'full'. some quilters have put extra batting in their bindings to achieve that. i cut my binding fabric 2.25". when i cut it 2.5", it get the empty look.
judges also look for perfectly square corners. so practicing the mitering of the corners is important.

Highmtn 10-26-2011 06:07 AM

Two years ago I got a second place ribbon at the fair and the comment card read "Lovely quilt, but wavy binding". I took that quilt (lg. wall hanging actually) to our quilt club meeting and the whole class looked my project over and could not SEE what the judge was talking about. It was a disappointment, but so be it. It didn't stop me from entering quilts at our fair and having fun making them.

I no longer cut 2" bindings. It's just toooo close for my old eyeballs. I cut them 2 1/4"...and make sure I am NEVER in a hurry. I want the binding on flat (and not pulled taught) which can cause a "wonk-wave" down the binding edge of your quilt.

I recently saw tutorial (can't remember where) where the quilter used water soluble glue to pre-glue her binding down. I may try that on a wall hanging, but not a full sized quilt. I have to admit her mitered corners were CRISP and spot on.

Scissor Queen 10-26-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
one of the things that judges look for in bindings is that it is 'full'. some quilters have put extra batting in their bindings to achieve that. i cut my binding fabric 2.25". when i cut it 2.5", it get the empty look.
judges also look for perfectly square corners. so practicing the mitering of the corners is important.

My binding is full to the edge with the quilt. It's very flat and very even. A friend of mine stuffs her binding with batting. They're puffy. I hate the way they look.

seamstome 10-26-2011 06:15 AM

Personally I am mystified by this fascination that judges have with binding. I think it is the most minimal part of the quilt. It is the only part you can replace on a whim!

Melinda in Tulsa 10-26-2011 06:22 AM

Just remember, anytime you enter any kind of judged competition...It is ONLY the judges OPINION. Don't take it personally. He/she may have left their glasses at home/had a bad day/didn't like the color purple(or whatever). It's all opinion. LOL, and if he judges you next week, he may just move you to first place!

bigsister63 10-26-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Even binding is subject to different opinions. I've been doing my binding the same way for several years now. I got an "excellent binding" from one quilt judge and a mark down on my binding from a judge this year. Just do your best.

Tell us you secrets!!!!!!!!!

Scissor Queen 10-26-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Tell us you secrets!!!!!!!!!

The biggest secret I have is to use the biggest square ruler you have to trim the corners of the quilt before you put the binding on. It's very difficult to make perfect binding corners if the corner of the quilt isn't square to start with.

When you fold the miter on the front make sure it's straight up and make sure the angle is in perfect alignment with the point of the corner.