Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding with a longarm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-longarm-t171382.html)

Bobbielinks 12-08-2011 11:19 AM

Binding with a longarm

I just finished quilting a queen size quilt just for me!!! Can you tell how happy I am? I have been wanting to try attaching the binding by my longarm machine so I have measured, cut and pressed the binding and am now off to attach it to my quilt. I'll be back later to tell you have it went.

wolph33 12-08-2011 11:40 AM

I am waiting to see what you think-I am afraid to try it

ksdot417 12-08-2011 11:46 AM

I'm really interested in how that goes. I haven't had the courage to try it yet.

Xtgirl 12-08-2011 11:54 AM

..I used my channel locks and a binding tool I bought for the long arm and it went smoothly when I did it:)

juststart 12-08-2011 05:45 PM

I have done this many times. There is a ruler that fits over the hopping foot. this holds the edge flat and guides the hopping foot . It is a real time saver. I did try it the first time without the tool and had a heck of a time. Hope you have fun and it works great for you.

ka9sdn 12-09-2011 06:00 AM

juststart where did you find such a tool? I have an HQ 18 Avante and this sounds good.

soccertxi 12-09-2011 06:59 AM

I apply binding by long arm alot. The only part I do on my DSM is sewing the ends together and then sewing that part down to the quilt. I sew it freehand and sometimes use a small long arm ruler to guide the hopping foot. I have found I am much more accurate sewing up and down..and not so accurate sewing side to side. To compensate, I chalk a 1/4 inch line on the top and bottom so I have a guide. I have done this for a few customer and they seem to like it. I learned how on a video on MQResource (an online long arm group).

CRELLA 12-09-2011 07:38 AM

i have done it an it works great but you have to go from end to end until you finish it so i just do it on my little sewing machine to me it takes to long

amandasgramma 12-09-2011 07:43 AM

I'm waiting to see how it went. I haven't tried that yet.

Bobbielinks 12-10-2011 03:46 PM

I'm back with very good news about attaching the binding with my longarm. It went GREAT! Took 30 minutes for me to measure for the binding, cut and press it; then 20 minutes to sew it onto the quilt sandwich. I started in the center at the takeup bar, stitched to the top right corner, down the right side and back along the bottom edge to about 8 inches from the center bottom. Then rolled back to the top, starting at the center stitching left to left edge and down left side, across bottom to about 14-15 inches from right side stitched binding and tied off. Of course, I stopped at each corner to miter the corners (best miters that I have ever stitched on a quilt). Like Soccertxi I finished it on my domestic machine.

I did not think to use the channel lock like Xtgirt; and I don't have a ruler that fits over the hopping foot like Juststart; I just used a straight edge longarm ruler about 6 inches long. Using the 6 inch ruler gave me the opportunity to stop and adjust the binding as I stitched since I did not pin it down'

Like Soccertxi, Xtgirt and Juststart, I would highly recommend attaching the binding with your quilting machine. Very fast, easy and looks great.