Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding method:Has anyone tried using the backing fabric as the binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-method-has-anyone-tried-using-backing-fabric-binding-t241859.html)

copycat 02-24-2014 05:11 AM

Binding method:Has anyone tried using the backing fabric as the binding?

I am making a wall hanging. Does anyone use the backing fabric and fold it to the front in order to make the binding? I have read about this process and wondered who has tried this method of binding and if they were satisfied with how it looks. Thanks for your help.

Shelbie 02-24-2014 05:18 AM

I have used this method often. In fact, it was the first way that I learned to bind a quilt as this was the only method my MIL used and she has made a lot of quilts. If it works for a queen sized quilt, it would certainly work for a wall hanging. I cut the backing to one inch larger than the quilt top. Fold it over and top stitch it on the front. This gives me a wider binding than some quilters prefer but I like it that width. You could cut it narrower but you want to make sure you have enough to tuck under well. I don't pin (except the corners) or measure but just tuck it under and eyeball it as I stitch and I've been pleased with the result. Unless you were a quilter, you would never know it was a "faux" quilt binding. By the time these bindings are showing a lot of wear, the whole quilt is too so this method would be just fine for your wall hanging which won't be washed nearly as frequently as my kids' quilts.

nanna-up-north 02-24-2014 05:22 AM

The old quilts (1930s) I have from great aunts were done that way. The only problem is that the bindings have worn with age and split along the edges of the bindings in most places. The edge gets the most wear and with straight of grain, one thread runs along that edge. That's why we use bias today. Hundreds of threads cross that edge so wear won't cause the binding to split.

Grandma Bonnie 02-24-2014 05:34 AM

I mostly make throw size quilts just for family use and I have done a lot of them this way. Quicker and easier for me!

DOTTYMO 02-24-2014 05:36 AM

I went to a stitch group quilts for soldiers. They taught me this method. I wasn't keen .

DebraK 02-24-2014 05:37 AM

I don't mind this method for smaller quilts, but prefer a separate binding for twin size and up.

SlightlyOffQuilter 02-24-2014 05:59 AM

I have used this method before as well . I have also added an extra 2 inch border to the top of my quilt when I put the top together, but I do not quilt this last border. Then trimming the batting and backing I fold the border in half then fold over the edge and stitch. I have not had problems with either method !

Quiltngolfer 02-24-2014 05:59 AM

I recently did one like that. It did make a wider binding than I am used to. It worked fine, but I like the binding better that I sew on the front and hand sew on the back. It takes a lot more time, but I still think it looks best.

marcycn 02-24-2014 06:12 AM

I made 10 quilts last year and used this method for every one of them, successfully. I understand what nanna-up-north is saying though and will try bias binding again. I have one basted right now that is set up using the back folded over. I like the lines of this way a lot better.

NJ Quilter 02-24-2014 06:13 AM

I've done it. It is what I call 'sufficient' for the purpose. My personal opinion, though, is I prefer separate binding. Mainly because I like my bindings different, but coordinated, with the top and backing. Just my preference.