Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding problem- help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-problem-help-t314059.html)

SusieQOH 01-30-2021 06:55 AM

Binding problem- help!

Hi everyone,
My specific problem with bindings is that sewing the first side goes fine, but when I do the other side the stitches never line up with the side I just finished. That's why I usually sew the front first and then hand sew the back. But I really don't like doing it that way even though it looks a lot better.
I usually use 2.5 inch binding and a walking foot. Doesn't matter which machine I'm using.
Any tips?

DJ 01-30-2021 07:05 AM

Try a serpentine stitch so it doesn't have to be perfect. Another option for you might be to try wrapping the backing around to the front for the binding. That always looks very nice!

SusieQOH 01-30-2021 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 8456795)
Try a serpentine stitch so it doesn't have to be perfect. Another option for you might be to try wrapping the backing around to the front for the binding. That always looks very nice!

Yesterday I wrapped the back to the front. After sewing the front the back row of stitching was outside the binding. I get so frustrated. Thanks for the tip on the decorative stitch!

sewingpup 01-30-2021 07:33 AM

I always use my walking foot and a serpentine stitch for my bindings. I first stitch the binding on the back with a straight stitch. Then I pull the binding to the front placing the edge just a little beyond the stitch line of the binding. I adjust my serpentine stitch length and width to get a gentle curve that I like using a small scrap of quilted material. Once I have the binding pulled to the front and adjusted to just a little beyond the stitch line, I use the left inner edge of my foot to keep the edge of the binding lined up and do start stitching....this usually keeps everything straight and the stitching is on the binding on the back too... Depending on your foot, you many need to tweak where you are lining everything up a bit so just get a sample and try different points on your foot to line things up with. The corners can be tricky and do take some practice to get clean....but I now have mastered that for the most part....I stop stitching 1/4 inch from the corner, break the thread....make the mitered corner and resume stitching....works just fine but took me a bit of practice and remembering not to tug on the fabric and now most of the time, my stitches do not show on the corners on the backing as they are on the binding part. I match my thread to the binding. Oh, and I don't pin or clip anything....just use my fingers...to finger pin things in place as I go ...slowly....oh...and make sure you don't stitch over your fingers...ouch!

IceLeopard 01-30-2021 07:41 AM

Have you tried flange binding? https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-machine-binding-flange-t77821.html AKA magic binding. Several tutorials online if you google that.

deborahscanlon 01-30-2021 07:43 AM

I don't know that mine are perfect but they are pretty close. Only once in a rare time does the stitching come off the line. I always fold and stitch the front, that is where it matters most. I stitch the binding on the back then take it to the ironing board and press out before folding over. Then at the ironing board and fold it over to the stitching line (just a tad over the line) and put a couple dots of glue, iron and move on. The whole gluing process might take 15 minutes for a full size quilt but that that is saved 10 fold from having to rip out stitches when the fold doesn't line up perfectly. When stitching I use an edge foot and move my stitches in 6, 7 or 8 stitches - to where I'm sure I am within the stitching line on the back. Works every time. I'm also careful to fold the corners nicely and glue them in place too.

SusieQOH 01-30-2021 07:46 AM

I don't have a problem with corners. I seem to have mastered that part of it. No, I haven't tried a flange border but I like the way they look.
I love using glue as well.
I appreciate all the replies.

Jordan 01-30-2021 07:53 AM

I only tried doing my binding by sewing both sides with the sewing machine and I too was so far off with the stitching that I thought never again. I love to pull my binding (once it is stitched down) to the back and hand sew it down. I find this very relaxing.

juliasb 01-30-2021 07:56 AM

I tend to do either flange bindings or sew from the front and hand stitch the back. This way I always have the perfect binding. I don't like how much longer it takes to do it by hand but worth the outcome.

Tartan 01-30-2021 08:00 AM

My advice, give up and hand sew to the back. I do the flange binding if I want to do a completely machine finish. I have never been happy with trying to straight stitch machine sew since I hate the look of the stitching not being in the same distance on the back binding. The serpentine stitch would solve that problem if the quilt lends itself to that look.