Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-t198149.html)

quilterchibb 08-20-2012 06:34 AM

Binding question

I was just wondering why people use the binding clips. Why not just fold it over as you sew? Am I doing it wrong?

Holice 08-20-2012 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quilterchibb (Post 5453863)
I was just wondering why people use the binding clips. Why not just fold it over as you sew? Am I doing it wrong?

No you are not doing it wrong. Some quilters like to hold the binding in place with the clips as they hand sew.
I don't. they just get in my way.

NanaCsews2 08-20-2012 06:45 AM

I use them for machine binding for two reasons. One because for some reason all the jostling of the quilt can move the binding just slightly so that as I got further down on sewing the binding, it would be off a little and then I would have the front or back stretched more than the other side of the binding. Now, I put the clips on after making sure it is straight, then use Elmers school glue along the edge and iron it down. I only need a few clips when actually taking it to the machine. I will say it is downright perfect every time when I do this. I use 2 1/2 - 3" bias binding strips, no smaller. So stretching may not be a problem if they were smaller. I don't know. The binding clips have line measurements on them so the binding is the exact width all around the quilt. It is quick to keep measuring this way to make sure it isn't 'off'. This is also why I use them.

Peckish 08-20-2012 06:55 AM

I don't use them either. Sometimes I'll use washable glue, but most of the time I fold the binding over as I go. I use one or two of those bendable hair clips, which I get at the dollar store. Some people like those binding clips, but to me it's an unnecessary expense.

AliKat 08-20-2012 07:38 AM

If you don't use something like clips, pins, or glue it is too easy to stretch the binding and have 'lumps' in the finished product. this is especially true if you do a bias binding. It might not matter as much on smaller quilted items.

ali

Kitsie 08-20-2012 07:42 AM

Yep, me, too. And I don't pin or clip all of the binding on when I machine sew the front on either, just lay it on as I sew. Never had a wrinkle or bulge that way.

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5453934)
I don't use them either. Sometimes I'll use washable glue, but most of the time I fold the binding over as I go. I use one or two of those bendable hair clips, which I get at the dollar store. Some people like those binding clips, but to me it's an unnecessary expense.

DebraK 08-20-2012 07:42 AM

ditto. but I can see how they are handy in various situations when you don't want to pin.

Knitette 08-20-2012 07:42 AM

I use them before sewing to roughly check that I'm not going to end up with a binding join right on my corner - which I hate!

MadQuilter 08-20-2012 08:11 AM

WHen I don't use the clips I have to tug the binding in place for every bit. When I use the clips the binding lays nice and flat where I need to sew.

PaperPrincess 08-20-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5454068)
I use them before sewing to roughly check that I'm not going to end up with a binding join right on my corner - which I hate!

What a great idea!!!! It seems no matter what I do, i wind up with a join on the corner. Then I have to stop, make a join further down so I can move the seam. I can't get the corner to lay flat if there's a seam there.