Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-t218273.html)

sylviak 04-04-2013 06:43 PM

Binding question

I've been quilting for a number of years and I bind my quilts using a double fold with mitered corners. Every now and then, one of my corners ends up with a diagonal joining seam right at or very near the corner. Is there any way to avoid this? Perhaps a formula of some kind?

Maggie_Sue 04-04-2013 07:10 PM

I do not know of any formula, but I try to do a quick go around and see if any are going to fall on the corner and if so adjust the start point a few inches, to avoid that happening.

QM 04-04-2013 07:13 PM

I know it's not what we are told to do, but I rarely measure my binding in advance. If the binding seam is going to come out at a corner, I cut some out to fix the problem.

Scissor Queen 04-04-2013 07:15 PM

I always lay my binding out on the quilt and adjust it so no seams end up on a corner.

Tartan 04-04-2013 07:41 PM

If there is a formula, I don't know it.:) I start with a pin in the middle of one side and loosely measure around the perimeter to check that no seams land in the corners. If needed, I adjust where the strip starts.

Prism99 04-04-2013 07:44 PM

I have been pinning binding all around the quilt and adjusting to make sure that a seam doesn't fall right on a corner. QM made the light bulb come on for me! Next time I might just do that -- cut and adjust the seam as I sew if it's going to hit on a corner.

azwendyg 04-04-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5978749)
I know it's not what we are told to do, but I rarely measure my binding in advance. If the binding seam is going to come out at a corner, I cut some out to fix the problem.

I do the same thing. It's pretty easy to take out a few inches to avoid having the seam in a corner.

quilttiger 04-04-2013 07:54 PM

I do the same thing as Tartan does....audition where the seams are landing on the quilt. If any of the seams land on the corner, then I move the binding a few inches or more as needed. Sometimes the quilt may be uneven for one reason or other. For example, if one side is half an inch shorter than the opposite side, I would use the measurement of the shorter side and ease in the opposite side so that both the sides are the same length after the binding is done. Hope this makes sense.

gale 04-05-2013 12:29 AM

I mostly use rounded corners and avoid mitering altogether. I love doing binding this way (of course you have to use bias which I am fine with).

Knitette 04-05-2013 12:55 AM

This is where the little Clover red binding clips come into their own. You only need to use 2 or 3 each side round your quilt, to roughly see where the joins will lie. I use one to do a rough mitre fold at each corner.

Much quicker (and much less 'stabbier') than pins. The flat hairclips will work just as well for this.