Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-question-t74172.html)

bj 11-04-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
You can use the T-pins but I find that saftey pins work better because they don't poke me all the time and there is no chance of them slipping out. I also iron my binding as I fold it over to the back. It helps me keep it from getting pulled out of shape as I do the hand binding. You must be beside yourself with excitement at finishing the quilt.

I just use regular pins, but I pin on the right side of the quilt so the pins are underneath when I sew. I pin so the ball comes at me first, not the point :-D ...less poking and thread tangling issues. The pins are on the opposite side from where you're sewing.

luvTooQuilt 11-04-2010 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
I always iron mine down first and then pin or glue-baste it down before stitching. It helps me to maintain a more even binding width on the front and a straighter fold. I don't have any problems with stretching, but it's something to watch for...

As you can see, quilters have different methods that work well for them, so feel free to experiment a little and see what works best for you.

Congrats on getting ready to finish up your quilt!

I glue mine down too.. I use Roxannes or just plain school glue. whichever is closer/on hand..

Ginga 11-04-2010 12:08 PM

I use big bobby pins to hold the binding in place as I go. Tried the clips but they open up and fly all over the room. I usually do about 36 inches ahead of where I am, and as I take one off I add it to the other end.

beginnerquilter 11-04-2010 02:48 PM

Oh okay...Thanks

ljsunflower 11-04-2010 03:15 PM

I don't iron it down, but pins are real handy when doing this!

beginnerquilter 11-04-2010 07:01 PM

thank you....

littlehud 11-04-2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
You can use the T-pins but I find that saftey pins work better because they don't poke me all the time and there is no chance of them slipping out. I also iron my binding as I fold it over to the back. It helps me keep it from getting pulled out of shape as I do the hand binding. You must be beside yourself with excitement at finishing the quilt.

You just gave me a tada moment here. I have been using straight pins. I'm switching too safety pins. No more pokes. Thanks.

Sew Krazy Girl 11-04-2010 11:52 PM

I was told that ironing my binding in half may skew when sewing it on by machine. So, I don't iron. When turning the binding over, it should have a nice roll to it. This I sew by hand. It's always looked nice.

Katia 11-04-2010 11:59 PM

I basically do it just like you would a hem in a skirt, only really tiny stitches. That is of course after the binding is sewn onto the front. I use a few regular pins to hold it in place. the one thing I do that I have not seen mentioned is that I thread a bunch of needles ahead. I don't know why, it just made sense to me. I hate to have to stop and thread a needle. The only problem I have had is that my hands hurt really bad afterward and it does take a long time. But it is what I like to call tv work so the time is not really a problem. But the pain is not fun. I really want to learn how to do a good job putting the binding on completely with my sewing machine.

gale 11-05-2010 12:42 AM

I iron it and use clips-they look like hair clips (what we always called "clippies") to hold it down. I got into the habit of using clips when I did stockings with bias bindings.