Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding a quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-quilt-t155761.html)

Granny Quilter 09-25-2011 12:46 PM

The book I learned from says to sew the binding on the front of the quilt, and turn it to the back to hand sew down.The teacher in my quilt class says to sew it on the back, and do the hand stitching on the front. Which way is right/

Buckeye Rose 09-25-2011 12:47 PM

either! is just a matter of opinion and what you like.

annthreecats 09-25-2011 12:50 PM

I like to machine sew on the front and hand sew on the back. You could always machine sew on the back and the front. Tricky, huh?

MinnieKat 09-25-2011 12:51 PM

I always sew mine on the front and hand stitch it down to the back .... not saying that's the "right" way, just the way I do it. :)

whinnytoo 09-25-2011 12:56 PM

I hand stitch on the back, but if I do a machine stitched binding, I top stitch it on the front.
Just personal preferences all around

Highmtn 09-25-2011 01:03 PM

I THINK (now I could be wrong - so I'm sure someone will correct me if I am), but for displaying a quilt in a fair (or competition) my understanding is that the binding has to be sewn to the front and hand stitched down on the back. Our local county fair will accept all quilts, but their *binding* requirements are what I stated above.

For kids quilts and what I call "using quilts"... cuddle quilts... TV quilts to be USED DAILY AND WASHED OFTEN. I sew the binding to the back and use a decorative stitch sewing the binding DOWN on the front. My hubby's 100% flannel quilt was constructed over 4 years ago using this binding method, and that thing has seen the washer/dryer many times. It's holding together VERY WELL and has yet to need a repair.

valsma 09-25-2011 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
The book I learned from says to sew the binding on the front of the quilt, and turn it to the back to hand sew down.The teacher in my quilt class says to sew it on the back, and do the hand stitching on the front. Which way is right/

I think it is a matter of preferance, and i've heard the same thing as you. I the cleaner seam on the front w/hand sewing on the back.

ptquilts 09-25-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat
I always sew mine on the front and hand stitch it down to the back .... not saying that's the "right" way, just the way I do it. :)

ditto

Deb watkins 09-25-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
I THINK (now I could be wrong - so I'm sure someone will correct me if I am), but for displaying a quilt in a fair (or competition) my understanding is that the binding has to be sewn to the front and hand stitched down on the back.

For kids quilts and what I call "using quilts"... cuddle quilts... TV quilts to be USED DAILY AND WASHED OFTEN. I sew the binding to the back and use a decorative stitch sewing the binding DOWN on the front. My hubby's 100% flannel quilt was constructed over 4 years ago using this binding method, and that thing has seen the washer/dryer many times. It's holding together VERY WELL and has yet to be repaired.

Just my opinion.

This is how I construct the quilts for NICU as well. Machine stitch on the back first, then secure with a decorative on the front.

RenaB 09-25-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
either! is just a matter of opinion and what you like.

Yep. Personally I sew to the front and blind stitch by hand to the back. This way if I do mess up, the mess up is on the back side.