Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding sewing machine presser foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-sewing-machine-presser-foot-t282200.html)

emt2004 09-15-2016 06:21 AM

Binding sewing machine presser foot

Has anyone ever used one of these presser ft.? If so are they worth purchasing? Sorry for all the questions, just getting back into quilting, looking for some easy ways of binding. Thanks again, Michele

rryder 09-15-2016 06:50 AM

It depends on what you mean by binding foot. If you're talking about those ones where you insert your binding into the foot and then it wraps it around the edges, my experience is that they don't handle the thickness of a double fold binding.

If you are talking about Martelli's binding system, then for me, yes, it was worth it since it allows me to get a binding onto a quilt very quickly.

The Martelli binding system which has two components- 1. a foot that has a moveable fence so you can get a really consistent seam allowance when you stitch the binding to the front and then when you flip the binding to the back you move the fence so you get a perfect stitch in the ditch on the front that catches the edge of the binding on the back. 2. a gizmo that holds the binding in the perfect spot on the back side so that when you stitch from the front you always (with practice) catch the binding at the same distance from the fold so it's nice and neat looking. I've done this method without the Martelli foot and other gizmo, but find that I can get a binding on a lot faster using those two tools.

If I were entering a quilt into a competition I would hand stitch the binding to the back rather than machine stitching it and in that case I probably wouldn't use the Martelli system.

Rob
<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

RobertaK1 09-15-2016 06:50 AM

I use a walking foot for binding. It works better on several layers.

QuiltnNan 09-15-2016 06:56 AM

i've heard that it is not that easy to use. when doing total machine binding, i sew the 2.25" binding to the back first. then i use my joining foot and move the needle 5 clicks to the right.... that way, i can follow the binding edge on the front by butting it up to the binding and the needle sews an even distance from the edge. this is for every day quilts. for special or show quilts, i sew to the front and hand sew to the back.

elnan 09-15-2016 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by emt2004 (Post 7653235)
Has anyone ever used one of these presser ft.? If so are they worth purchasing? Sorry for all the questions, just getting back into quilting, looking for some easy ways of binding. Thanks again, Michele

This question and the answers interests me because I am part of a small group that makes bunk bed size quilts as donations. We also work on some items for foreign missions in the congo, so want quilts that will hold up to hard use and commercial laundreys. Although two of our members produce exquisite handwork, we settled on machine finish binding, and are always looking for ways to perfect it. I did one quilt using the instructions for the Flange Binding, and although the front looked very good, I was not happy with the looks of the back. I would like to know more about the feet referred to by rryder and QuiltnNan.

Cari-in-Oly 09-15-2016 09:13 AM

No spendy special foot for me. I sew my binding to the back and use a zipper foot to sew it to the front.

Cari

cashs_mom 09-15-2016 09:19 AM

I had one for my old New Home. It was okay for doing placemats or something small, but I don't think it would be able to handle a double quilt binding. It's just too small. I think a walking foot would work better.

Notwendy 09-15-2016 10:03 AM

It does seem to be a foot that his better for sewing clothes or small quilted items such as place mats & pot holders. The real issue I had was at the corners. I recently pieced a rectangular runner but curved the corners after quilting. I'm going to see if the binding foot (I have vintage and modern ones) is able to handle the double-fold bias tape if it doesn't have to go around corners.

Someone made a youtube video showing how they deal with corners when using the binding foot - I haven't tried it, as it involves hand-stitching.

Sheri.a 09-16-2016 03:53 AM

I spent over $100 for one for my Janome. After I purchased it I realized it won't do double fold binding. Then I played with it and really regretted my purchase. It was difficult to use for me. Fortunately I was able to sell it on the Sewitforsale Yahoo group and only lost a few dollars.

mac 09-17-2016 10:42 AM

I tried to use one of those feet to do the binding and I finally gave up in disgust.

The fastest way for me to do it is sew it on the back and then use a decorative stitch to sew it down from the front. This is a lot faster than doing it by hand, that is for sure.