Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-t135618.html)

Connie in CO 07-06-2011 09:47 AM

My pattern calls for a single fold binding.I always cut my binding then fold in half then sew and fold to back then sew. Is that single or double.I'm not sure what i'm doing.Connie in CO

the casual quilter 07-06-2011 09:53 AM

Double. There is a technique called single that does not fold the strip in half. You just sew one side of the strip to the quilt, flip it over, turn the edge under and stitch down. The single binding I've seen is cut on the bias for use on curved edges, like scallops. If your quilt is not curvy, I'd just make the kind of binding you want. I use double for most quilts.

Connie in CO 07-06-2011 09:58 AM

Thanks i didn't think of that.I'll do it the way i bind my quilts.Connie in CO

amma 07-06-2011 10:02 AM

I think it depends on who is writing the pattern :lol:

Most single fold for quilts is a strip of fabric that is folded in half, whether cut on the grain or bias. (One single fold of fabric) and then it is sewn onto the quilt.

Double fold is typically what you buy in the packages, that is folded differently. It is actually folded more than once.

Usually, if you read through the patterns directions, you can tell what they mean by how wide they have you cut the strips :D:D:D

Connie in CO 07-06-2011 10:04 AM

The strips are 1 1/4 wide.

np3 07-06-2011 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I think it depends on who is writing the pattern :lol:

Most single fold for quilts is a strip of fabric that is folded in half, whether cut on the grain or bias. (One single fold of fabric) and then it is sewn onto the quilt.

Double fold is typically what you buy in the packages, that is folded differently. It is actually folded more than once.

Usually, if you read through the patterns directions, you can tell what they mean by how wide they have you cut the strips :D:D:D

:thumbup: :thumbup:

paulswalia 07-06-2011 10:11 AM

If you are told to cut at 1.25 inches, it's definitely a single binding. There's not enought there to fold in half, then sew onto the quilt, flip over and sew again. I was always taught that a quilt wears out first on the edge and that a double binding was better since there are two layers to wear thru, rather than just one in a single binding.

Connie in CO 07-06-2011 10:15 AM

I think i'm going to cut a 2" stripe and fold in half then sew on.Thanks ladies.Connie in CO

SparkMonkey 07-06-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in CO
I think i'm going to cut a 2" stripe and fold in half then sew on.Thanks ladies.Connie in CO

That is exactly what I do. It makes a nice, firm, narrow binding, and you don't have to deal with keeping a raw edge turned under since they're both enclosed in the binding.

pamesue 07-06-2011 11:41 AM

I cut my strips at 2 1/4 and then fold in half...that is what works for me.