Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-t280360.html)

Genden 07-11-2016 04:33 PM

Binding

I just finished hand quilting a quilt and am ready to bind it. I was critiqued by a county fair judge on a quilt I entered two years ago that the binding was not full enough. I have been reading that some quilter's are now cutting the binding 2 1/4" in order to not leave any space in the binding. Sounds like a good idea to me. However, I began this quilt over two years ago and at that time I cut the binding the standard 2 1/2". I don't want to cut 1/4" off. I have no more fabric in case of a slip. In order to make sure the binding fulls enough, should I sew the binding on at 3/8" rather than 1/4"? Will this be enough or is there a plan B or plan C that would work better. After all the work I have put into this quilt, I don't want to make mistakes with the binding.

sewingitalltogether 07-11-2016 04:37 PM

Yes, like you. The 2 1/2" is a touch too big. I'm sewing the hand stitching on a binding now. I cut it at 2 1/8". I like it better.

quiltingcandy 07-11-2016 04:50 PM

Depending on the edge of your quilt, if it is designed so that you could use 3/8th of an inch for sewing on the binding that would be the easiest option. Since I use my GO or my June Taylor's Shape Cutter to cut my binding, I like the 2.5 inch binding, but then I don't show my quilts and couldn't care what a judge would say.

Genden 07-11-2016 05:01 PM

Also, is it still good practice to fold the binding in half? I will be seaming the binding on the diagonal in order to reduce the seam bulk. The binding was cut selvage to selvage. I think I read somewhere to trim the quilt leaving the batting and backing 1/2" longer than the quilt top in order to fill the binding. Would this work with a 1/4" seam?

Maureen NJ 07-11-2016 05:08 PM

If you have a plain border on, I agree, just sew the binding at 3/8". If you have an edge where doing that will cut off part of the design (e.g. Star points), you could cut the batting and backing a little wider and then sew the 3/8" seam.

Tartan 07-11-2016 06:01 PM

Ideally binding is supposed to be the same in the front and back of the quilt if it is 1/4 inch or other. I would use the seam allowance that enables you to do that. You might want to cut a little section at 2-1/2 of scrap fabric and try out some seam allowances first. Judges also look to see that you have hand sewn the little 45 * angles on each corner of the binding closed.

117becca 07-11-2016 06:40 PM

My binding for 3/8" seam allowance is 2 3/8". That fills the binding really well.

My binding for 1/4" seam allowance is 1 3/4"

When I go around the corners, the miter is fairly tight, i don't have to sew it all down.

Pagzz 07-11-2016 06:49 PM

Use can use what you already have. You can cut small pieces of leftover batting and stuff it into binding if there are thin patches before you hand stitch to the back

Genden 07-11-2016 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz (Post 7599738)
Use can use what you already have. You can cut small pieces of leftover batting and stuff it into binding if there are thin patches before you hand stitch to the back

This looks like a great option. Well the pieces of batting shift or bunch in this tight space?

Peckish 07-11-2016 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Genden (Post 7599657)
Also, is it still good practice to fold the binding in half? I will be seaming the binding on the diagonal in order to reduce the seam bulk. The binding was cut selvage to selvage. I think I read somewhere to trim the quilt leaving the batting and backing 1/2" longer than the quilt top in order to fill the binding. Would this work with a 1/4" seam?

I highly recommend NOT PRESSING your binding in half before you sew it on. Fold it in half, yes, but then simply sew it on. Your binding will lay much nicer and fuller if you don't press it first.

If you're unsure about your binding, cut some scrap fabric at various widths and sew about 6-8 inches on your quilt. Use a long basting stitch. This way you can audition various widths and seam allowances, and once you figure out what looks good, you can easily remove the basting stitch.

I usually use a 2" or 2.125" (2 1/8th) binding, with a quarter-inch seam allowance. Personal preference.