Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding tool & Blade sharpener (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-tool-blade-sharpener-t183661.html)

pacquilter 03-22-2012 07:34 AM

Binding tool & Blade sharpener

I just stumbled onto a tutorial on how to use a binding tool. I've never seen or heard of a binding tool, but it did look rather handy. Do many of you use them, and is it worth getting one? Also, I know this came up on the board a while back, but I don't remember what all was said: do those rotary blade sharpeners I see for $19.99 at Joann's really work and are they worth the investment? As you all know, every penny counts these days, and I'd rather be spending on fabric than tools that don't work. :)
Thank you all for your help!

jmabby 03-22-2012 07:44 AM

I don't know about the binding tool, but I have a blade sharpner from JoAnns and another one. For me, save your money. This sounds weird, but I use a knife sharpner, you have to be really careful, but it does the job. My knife sharpner is one that has a slot where you can put the blade in, and move it very slow until it is sharpened.

Prism99 03-22-2012 08:56 AM

Blade sharpeners have been a waste of money for me. I just buy new blades in bulk when they are on sale, or on eBay.

There are many different binding tools. I don't find them at all necessary to apply binding. There are several really good methods that don't require a tool. Often I can find a good, short video of a technique on Youtube.

Petey 03-22-2012 12:27 PM

I ditto what has been said so far - I have actually bought a "binding" tool which was so easy to use on the tutorial but once I got it in the mail I could not figure it out. So save your money and find a tutorial on how to do your binding -- they are so much better "tool" then any piece of plastic you can buy.

snipforfun 03-22-2012 02:05 PM

I bought the electric sharpener by Grace Frame Co. Yes it was pricey, but sure does work. I'm glad I saved all my old blades - now I am sharpening them all and they are all like brand new - except if they have nicks. I got mine through Joann.com on sale. If not on sale, I'm sure you can use a coupon. The stores don't have them only .com

JabezRose 03-22-2012 02:13 PM

Not happy with the $19.95 blade sharpener from JoAnns. Rather go out and purchace new blades when on sale or have coupons. Did find a plastic jar that the "stone" part of the sharpener set on and that kind of helped a little but still not real impressed. Haven't tried a binder tool. Rather do it by hand because never know for sure what kind of binding will be going on a quilt. Do up a lot of charity quilts for veterans. Love them veterans, let's give our veterans a standing ovation and thank them every chance we get. (sorry, I gets carried away).

EvelynJ 03-22-2012 03:22 PM

Binding Tutorial

1 Attachment(s)
I have not added a binding to any of my projects yet so I haven't looked for tools. I've just bought my first rotary and spare blades, so I can't advise you there either. Sorry, however, I found a great tutorial on Connecting Threads website (under the free patterns tab); I'll add it to this to make it easier for all.

Hope this helps.
Evelyn

cny_sewer39 03-22-2012 03:46 PM

I have a blade sharpener that I bought at Walmart back in 1996. It is called "Quilter's Dual Rotary Blade Sharpener". It's made by a company "The Quiltery". It works okay. I just recently purchased "The Binding Tool" by Susan Brown. I bought mine from the Missouri Star Quilt Company. I have not had an opportunity to use it, however. When I do, I will let you know. I bought it to use it on my Project Linus Quilts. Good Luck.

Have a blessed day.

debra

Handcraftsbyjen 03-22-2012 07:55 PM

There are several binding tools. If it is the one called the Binding Tool with a slant on one end with the letter L at the tip, then I say buy it. That's the tool I love.

quiltyfeelings 03-22-2012 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen (Post 5083469)
There are several binding tools. If it is the one called the Binding Tool with a slant on one end with the letter L at the tip, then I say buy it. That's the tool I love.

DITTO! In fact, I thought I was buying one and ended up buying "one case" instead. So if any of you want one, pm me. $8 plus a little shipping :)