Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding width, does it need to be even on both sides of quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-width-does-need-even-both-sides-quilt-t46685.html)

Rachelcb80 05-21-2010 06:47 PM

This is something I've been wondering about for awhile. I normally cut my binding strips 2 1/4" wide and do the double fold method. I attach the binding on the front of the quilt with a quarter inch seam, fold over and stitch to the back. But the binding width on the back of the quilt is always wider than what is on the front. Is that normal, and totally acceptable, or should I be adjusting my seam on the front to end up with a more even amount of binding on both sides?

I'm asking this from kind of a show prospective, even though I don't have any showing plans as of now. I'd just like to have things down the right way in case I ever do decide to show. :)

Pam 05-21-2010 06:54 PM

I cut mine 2 1/8 ONCE. It barely covered the line where I sewed the binding on to begin with. As long as your binding is tight, filled with batting, your corners are square, (lots of mine aren't, somehow, I made a dip in them right before the point) I might have pulled too tight with the stitching. Anyway, NOW I use the method on Sharon Schamber's site, and I recommend it. Check it out, it will change your bindings!

kayquilt 05-21-2010 07:00 PM

what site is Sharon Schamber's site?

Originally Posted by Pam
I cut mine 2 1/8 ONCE. It barely covered the line where I sewed the binding on to begin with. As long as your binding is tight, filled with batting, your corners are square, (lots of mine aren't, somehow, I made a dip in them right before the point) I might have pulled too tight with the stitching. Anyway, NOW I use the method on Sharon Schamber's site, and I recommend it. Check it out, it will change your bindings!

reach for the stars 2 05-21-2010 07:02 PM

I cut 2 1/2" width double fold sew to front of quilt and miter corners. Then I hand stitch the back. That way both sides are the same and you don't see your machine stitch on front. Takes longer but like the results.

Pam 05-21-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by kayquilt
what site is Sharon Schamber's site?

Originally Posted by Pam

Sharonschamber.com

Melinda in Tulsa 05-21-2010 07:05 PM

Rachel, I'm so glad you asked this question. I too, have the problem of my binding not being equal on both sides and not sure of how to correct it. I look so forward to all the answers. Does anyone have a direct link to the binding tutorial on SSN? :D :D

Holice 05-21-2010 07:11 PM

From a Judge. It is ok if the front and back is not the same as long as the width of the front is even and consistent and the back is even all around.
If you are having this problem then you need to either increase the seam allowance for machine sewing it down (if this is possible but may not be if you have piecing and 1/4" seam allowances) or you need to reduce the width of the cut binding.

katier825 05-21-2010 07:22 PM

You could always cut the batting to extend a little beyond the seam allowance. I usually try to get it 1/8" or so bigger and it works pretty well with 2-1/2" strips.

amma 05-21-2010 07:38 PM

Mine is always a bit narrower on one side :D:D:D

fabric-holic 05-22-2010 03:13 AM

I just watched the tute at Sharon Schamber's site. Wow is she thorough.
Personally as long as my binding covers everything and looks good, I'm happy. I don't worry if both sides measure the same.