Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Binding Woes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/binding-woes-t212986.html)

quiltmom04 02-06-2013 07:15 AM

I think a 3/8" seam with a 2 1/4" strip would be too much of a seam. Try 21/2" strip, or 1/4" seam. Also, as cool as Sharon schaumber's method is, I find that's too much handling of the strip for me. But then again, I'm certainly not anywhere near her caliber, so it is what it is!

quilt queen 02-06-2013 08:12 AM

I have a question for Willfreg: very interested in your method of using fannel to make a raggedy binding..could you let us know more about it? Thank you

wildyard 02-06-2013 08:44 AM

I, too, am a machine binder. I start with a 3" strip, folded in half, but not ironed anymore. I stitch the edges of the quilt before I bind it, just to make it easier, knowing the layers are all in place. I stitch to the back, turn it to the front and then use a decorative or straight stitch to stitch down the front.
What I like is that this gives me a nice outline stitch on the back as my binding is wider on the front. So rather than looking like I accidentally wander back and forth from the ditch, it looks like I am intentionally stitching outside the seam. Which I am!!! Smiles and hugs!

klgls 02-06-2013 09:13 AM

I must be the weird one - I love stitching the binding on by hand - I usually use a 2 1/4" strip - but that depends on the fabric and batting.

Donna 66 02-06-2013 09:31 AM

This is a great video--going to try on a potholder I just made :)

MarleneC 02-06-2013 01:55 PM

I think you are doing amazingly--5 quilts since August and a new sewer. I've only done 2 quilts but I cut my binding 2-1/2" and use a 1/4" seam. I've used the buttonhole stitch --machine--for the finishing.

krafty14 02-06-2013 02:25 PM

I usually machine sew my binding on both sides, especially for kids quilts and charity quilts that get alot of use and washing. I cut my binding 2 1/4" wide and I do not press it in half. I fold it in half and apply it to the back of the quilt using a good 1/4" seam. I then fold it over to the front just past the stitching for the back and use my blind hem foot to sew it on. Works for me!! Ann

newbee3 02-06-2013 02:46 PM

might try the flange type that is all done on machine

w7sue 02-06-2013 11:53 PM

One of the ladies at our quilt group today said that she uses Steam A Seam 1/4" tape. She puts the binding on, then uses the Steam A Seam to seal the side that needs to be sewn down - she said she buys hers at JoAnns - it seems like it would hold it in place nicely while you machine stitch it down. Sometimes I sew mine on the front, sometimes on the back - it depends on the fabric. If I have a light front/dark back and light binding, I would want to do my hand sewing on the front because the stitches are less visable.

My time 02-07-2013 08:24 PM

Not an expert but try cutting the strips 2.5 inches . It will make the world of difference.