Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bindings for fleece projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bindings-fleece-projects-t11510.html)

cae 09-22-2008 10:15 AM

Can someone advise the best type of binding for a fleece blanket/throw?

Thank you.

Nana Carol

mary quite contrary 09-22-2008 10:23 AM

I've only known people to do the cut and knot method.

Feathers 09-22-2008 11:40 AM

Cae:
I have to agree with Mary, either cut and tie or run a seam about 4 inches in from the edge and just cut a fringe all the way around. My neice put a taffeta binding on a fleece blanket she made for her baby and it didn't lay flat... looked ruffled or like the fleece was stretched out. She was very unhappy with it.

Margie 10-22-2008 11:17 AM

I have made fleece blankets...I dont like the fringed and knotted edges, but I like a finished edge. So i buy yarn and use a yarn needle with big eye(metal needle not the plastic) and do a blanket stitch around the edge. Everyone comments that they like them.

MelissaK 10-22-2008 11:48 AM

I use the satin blanket binding if it is only one fleece fabric. If I do two, then I do the stitch right sides together and turn.

Feathers 10-22-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
I have made fleece blankets...I dont like the fringed and knotted edges, but I like a finished edge. So i buy yarn and use a yarn needle with big eye(metal needle not the plastic) and do a blanket stitch around the edge. Everyone comments that they like them.

Hi Margie:
I like your idea...do you happen to have a picture that you could post. I'm sure my neice would love to try your method and i know I will try it but she's a new sewer and I'm very visual.

sewjoyce 10-22-2008 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers

Hi Margie:
I like your idea...do you happen to have a picture that you could post. I'm sure my neice would love to try your method and i know I will try it but she's a new sewer and I'm very visual.

Yes, Margie -- we want to see a picture of the hand done edge.

I've done edges on the serger and it's ok but I think it would be very pretty by hand...

Margie 10-22-2008 06:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have never put a picture on here, so I hope it works. This is an old blanket but I tried to get the edges so you can see it. Hope I can get the pciture on. Margie

sandpat 10-23-2008 05:43 AM

Oh...duh..I'm soo glad you did this thread. I've never used fleece, but got some in a fabric lot I won on ebay. I've been thinking about using it in a quilt and hadn't even thought about what to do with the edge..now I know, thanks!!

Feathers 10-23-2008 07:29 AM

I have never put a picture on here, so I hope it works. This is an old blanket but I tried to get the edges so you can see it. Hope I can get the pciture on. Margie

Hi Margie:
Thank you...the picture came through very clear. I see where it looks like you folded the edge then hand sewed the blanket stitch around so you don't have any raw edges or "rippling" because of the double edged thickness from the fold. Great application. Thank you.