Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Birthday lap robe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/birthday-lap-robe-t82006.html)

irishrose 12-10-2010 07:16 PM

Daughter # 2 has a birthday in early January. Think adult, not teen or child. I'd like to make each child a throw for their birthday. I was thinking a bargello of batiks for this one - am I brave or what? The problem - I received an order from emeraldcity today with Moda Fandago 5" charms that I like for this one. How 'bout a Warm Wishes with the various large prints for the squares and coordinating batiks for the strips. I'd have to cut down the size of the strips if the squares are only five inches, but I think it could work if I used colorful batiks. This is not a pastel child.

Any thoughts? I won't sew a stitch until after Christmas, but I need to plan ahead so I can have everything in the house if I need to order anything.

emmy 12-10-2010 07:37 PM

Try Googling bargello, batik quilts, Warm Wishes etc and click on images. I use the image feature frequently to get color ideas for quilts.

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 07:39 PM

Irishrose- I wasn't familiar with Fandango so i looked it up.
Beautiful fabrics! I may have to get some :D
Emmy gave you good advice. I have a hard time picturing things in my head.

irishrose 12-10-2010 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Color's not a problem. It's switching from my planned bargello to a Warm Wishes. Do you think 5 inch squares and 5 inch blocks with three batiks in the strips is big enough for a Warm Wishes? C is in Hawaii right now, so I think these fabrics would be nice for a cold, snowy January birthday. I don't want to cut these big motifs and I don't want snowballs for C.

Having not quilted in years, I probably shouldn't try to do a bargello in a hurry anyhow.

Sorry about the size - I used the scanner, not the camera.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141228[/ATTACH]

irishrose 12-10-2010 08:04 PM

Seeing them spread out like this (the motifs are actual size) makes me think I'd better go with blenders instead of batiks unless I have some quiet batiks in the right shades in my new stash. I can also cut up some of the tiny printed charms - I'd have a little waste. 2.17 inches times two is 4 1/3 inches, so I'd only waste 2/3 of an inch.

SusanMargaret -I paid $6.01 a package, so two packages didn't break the bank. I do have money put away for birthdays.

RST 12-10-2010 08:34 PM

I love that fabric ling -- Fandango, yes?

I think it lends itself well to fairly large squares. The inspiration for the designer was moorish tilework, so the fabric motifs look great when they're not too chopped up.

What if you were to do a simple lattice and let the blocks be the primary feature. The fabric design is so strong, you don't need a lot of additional elements.

RST

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 08:51 PM

Irishrose- I think blenders are a great choice. You have a lot going on with those gorgeous prints. I found some on ebay for 7.39 with free shipping! I think I'm going to buy some :D:D
I like the place you bought yours but I hate the bidding wars!! lol

sueisallaboutquilts 12-10-2010 08:52 PM

Darn it! I wish I never even read this post! I'm on a fabric diet LOL or should say WAS :D
Those fabbies are too pretty to pass up!

irishrose 12-10-2010 08:52 PM

I may have to just lay them out and see what the fabrics say to me when my cutting table is clear of wrapping paper.

You're right, I left out a 'n' in Fandango. I think faster than I type. I do think this line suites this daughter. I wonder if either of my LQSs has yardage for the border?

irishrose 12-11-2010 09:00 AM

Susan, you won't be sorry. The squares feel as good as they look. A very nice weight and smooth.

I don't mind bidding on things like this. It's things like a rotary cutter or Furminator where the price stays low until the last 2 minutes, then suddenly a bidding war ensues. The price will go up to near or over retail. I wonder if the seller has a second email and is bidding on his own product. It's happened too often not to be suspicious. I just leave the site. I know what I want to pay, so I don't play the game.

Who did you find with free shipping? I love free shipping.